Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Would you make the cars that currently exempt from paying VED pay?

Why changed the subject? The subject matter is about cyclists.

I think that the resistance to pay a small fee towards the roads while demanding more cycle lanes is probably why there is so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield!

Imagine how righteous you can be by paying only £7 a year?

Edited by TheRocketMan

It's not just London. This video is in the news today - a driver of a 4x4 attempts to run a cyclist off the road and then gets out to threaten him for several minutes. He thinks the cyclist should not be on the road but does not question why he is driving a 4x4 in London....

The driver is a chef and owner of the Brew Cafe London chain.

Why changed the subject? The subject matter is about cyclists.

I think that the resistance to pay a small fee towards the roads while demanding more cycle lanes is probably why there is so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield!

Imagine how righteous you can be by paying only £7 a year?

I wasn't changing the subject, I was trying to examine the details behind your proposal.

Because Pedestrians, Skateboarders, Rollerskaters dont demand cycle lanes.

Cyclists use the road safety system like everyone else. They benefit from traffic safety and road improvements.

if I rode my bicycle on the pavement, would I be exempt?

I find that drivers who haven't had the education of being a cyclist can't understand how they function as part of the transport system. As a kid on the road with a bike I was given plenty of room and now I reciprocate the gesture of patience and care.

Why shouldnt someone who commutes to work on a bicycle pay a small fee?

I have no problem with paying a fee if it shuts people up, but that's not what it'll do. It will legitimate the very largely irrational animosity which this thread is about.

What you're basically trying to say, in couched terms so that people don't laugh, is "cyclists don't pay road tax". The whole premise is flawed due to the fact that it's not how road infrastructure is funded, and it's not how society should operate. The road infrastructure should operate on the basis of getting everyone where they need to go as quickly and safely as possible for our mutual benefit.

Edited by mattleonard
Hadn't finished

I have no problem with paying a fee if it shuts people up, but that's not what it'll do. It will legitimate the very largely irrational animosity which this thread is about.

What you're basically trying to say, in couched terms so that people don't laugh, is "cyclists don't pay road tax". The whole premise is flawed due to the fact that it's not how road infrastructure is funded, and it's not how society should operate. The road infrastructure should operate on the basis of getting everyone where they need to go as quickly and safely as possible for our mutual benefit.

An estimated 200,000 people cycle to work in London daily, thats alot of bikes using the roads.

A 2p a day permit will certainly give them a voice.