Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

An estimated 200,000 people cycle to work in London daily, thats alot of bikes using the roads.

A 2p a day permit will certainly give them a voice.

I agree. To prove they have a permit, their bicycle should be registered and display the registration on a plate, front and back, to be able to use the roads. Let's see how many still ignore red lights then.

An estimated 200,000 people cycle to work in London daily, thats alot of bikes using the roads.

A 2p a day permit will certainly give them a voice.

I'm on the electoral roll, I have the option of standing for election, I can contact my MP and councillors. That's good enough for me, and I expect it's good enough for the 200,000.

A £7 permit won't give anyone a voice, it will just mean that some people have paid an arbitrary charge purely for the sake of it.

I'm pretty sure that very few cycle lanes get installed because cyclists demand them. The vast majority get installed because town planners think they will improve traffic flow and safety. Sometimes they're right.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 22:11 ----------

I agree. To prove they have a permit, their bicycle should be registered and display the registration on a plate, front and back, to be able to use the roads. Let's see how many still ignore red lights then.

Probably far fewer than the current proportion of road users with registration plates who ignore them. In fact I'm pretty sure that's already the case.

Why shouldnt someone who commutes to work on a bicycle pay a small fee?

How would you feel when the administration of this small fee costs considerably more than the revenue it brings in

Presumably you would be happy to absorb that cost via general taxation?

I got to page 8 then skipped to page 30, was there anything different in between?

One thing that I think contributes to the animosity in Sheffield toward cyclists is the lack of them. It's not a good place to cycle generally, as the flat/less hilly routes are mostly 'fast' wide roads and busy as well, the rest of sheffield is very hilly. This rarity of cyclists on the road make the encounters that much less common and so gets peoples hackles up a little more.

I got to page 8 then skipped to page 30, was there anything different in between?

One thing that I think contributes to the animosity in Sheffield toward cyclists is the lack of them. It's not a good place to cycle generally, as the flat/less hilly routes are mostly 'fast' wide roads and busy as well, the rest of sheffield is very hilly. This rarity of cyclists on the road make the encounters that much less common and so gets peoples hackles up a little more.

The hills makes Sheffield a fine place to cycle.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 23:08 ----------

Im just contributing to the "Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?" thread.

Cyclists use the roads so should pay for the privilege to use them like everyone else.

Thats my opinion.

It's also a fact that nobody pays for the privilege to use the roads. They pay for the privilege to own a car,

Im just contributing to the "Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?" thread.

Cyclists use the roads so should pay for the privilege to use them like everyone else.

Thats my opinion.

Another one who's a bit dim... FYI I pay plenty of tax that is used towards road building and maintenance. I also pay VED for my car that I'll leave at home this morning reducing congestion.

And a cycle, as non polluting, would have a zero charge VED.

People are still going on about having to pay to use the roads? The only roads paid for directly in the UK are toll roads like the M6 Toll. Why does paying have anything to do with it anyway? It is about being a responsible road user. Anyone using the road in an unsafe or discourteous manner deserves to have their conduct highlighted. This includes vehicles, cycles and pedestrians.

Why shouldnt someone who commutes to work on a bicycle pay a small fee?

Why should I get a portion of my VED back everytime I take the bike and not the car.

I bet you'd be less keen if it was 48p back to me every day I cycled.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 07:37 ----------

Its a figure that i think is fair.

£145 Cars

You realise that different cars pay different amounts?

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 07:38 ----------

Cyclists use the road safety system like everyone else. They benefit from traffic safety and road improvements.

Horse riders? Pedestrians who go where there is no pavement? Tractors?

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 08:27 ----------

Can you put my 50p in the post please? I've cycled to work and avoided contributing to pollution, congestion or road wear.

In fact, since I got some exercise I'm also reducing the burden on the NHS, so I'd like £1.50 actually.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 09:05 ----------

I didn't see any red light running this morning, but I did see this;