Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

You reckon that only car owners benefit from us having motorways?

No. But they do disproportionately - even more so than they do with normal roads.

Do you think only cyclists benefit from cycle lanes?

No. But they do disproportionately - even more so than they do with normal roads.

How does a motorist gain disproportionately ?

Your second question is a straw man..that isn't a suggestion I have put forward..

How does a motorist gain disproportionately ?
They travel longer distances on and do more damage to the roads.

Your second question is a straw man..that isn't a suggestion I have put forward..

It doesn't matter if you put it forward or not, I'm simply drawing attention to the fact that motorists benefit from cycle lanes even if they don't use them.

I commute northbound on the A61 through Grenoside out towards M1 junction 36, and regularly pass a couple of cyclists, sometimes more. I often have to wait until there is a break in the traffic coming the other way so that I can give the cyclist a wide berth when I overtake. I may have to wait a while - although it may seem to be a long time, it is typically usually only a few seconds. I can't understand the need some motorists have to squeeze past the cyclists when there is something coming the other way.

And the impact of being held up by the cyclist? I still usually catch up with the car in front either near the Jet Station or, at worst, I join them in the queue at the McDonalds roundabout.

I usually get gestured/shouted at if i wait - or they flash lights endlessly to try & get me to move.

M

My other point also still stands, what has the actions of these cyclists got to do with other cyclists?

You can quite clearly see on this thread how some people believe that all cyclists are the same, and they change their behaviour based on how they perceive cyclists. So that's what it's got to do with other cyclists.

I was knocked off my cycle a few weeks ago on the way to work by a lady, the first thing she said -I'm sorry I normally look when I pull out of this junction. Would I be justified coming on here and ranting at you because of the actions of the lady, or is this lady alone accountable for her own actions?

She's accountable, but you would be justified in being upset at her.

Why can't we have the same rules with cyclists?

If cyclist vigilantes started smashing up cars because of her hitting you, then other car owners could legitimately be upset at her (and at the vigilantes).

They travel longer distances on and do more damage to the roads.

I am an engineer..some of the kit I repair is medical kit in hospitals..don't you reckon that the people on the receiving end of this kit benefit from me being able to get about from site to site fairly quickly? Or do you reckon I go up and down the motorways for fun?

Edited by truman

I am an engineer..some of the kit I repair is medical kit in hospitals..don't you reckon that the people on the receiving end of this kit benefit from me being able to get about from site to site fairly quickly?

Yes.

Yes.

So people ,other than motorists,benefit from motorways..that's why the tax payer pays for them..

Have I said that's the case? Have I said that I don't agree with cycle lanes? Why would I think that? I really don't know why you keep asking me..