Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

You should push it. And be careful when you are pushing it.

Try that.

I have tried both approaches, particularly on the crossing near the train station.

Pushing, the extra width gets in the way of pedestrians and they have a nasty habit of walking into you which is very hard to steer out of the way when the bike is constantly trying to pull itself over.

Riding, I have had none of those problems.

Also, rather like taking the primary position on the road, people seem to give you more space and so are less inclined to walk into you.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Guest sibon
This is so boring ... :roll:

I agree.

It is quite tedious to hear the repeated excuses of a few cyclists who give the rest a bad name.

The answer to the question in the OP is clear for all to see in the last ten posts on this thread. That is all that needs to be said.

Returning over more to the original question, one effect I've noticed is that by and large, cycling in primary position, as the majority of cycling organisations, as well as some police forces advocate does make me safer, less likely to get caught in tight spots, cut up, overtaken by a car which immediately turns left etc. by probably good-natured motorists. It does however, involved a cost, whereby there is a not inconsiderable amount of verbal abuse, dangerous points-scoring manoeuvres and threats of physical violence from drivers specifically related to me occupying the centre of the lane. I'd be very interested to hear whether the purebred motorist sfers on this thread have any opinion on whether such behaviour from motorists is acceptable?

Incidentally:

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. The then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

If THAT isn't evidence that the law is not simply black and white, what is?

Edited by AlexAtkin

You seem very angry.

Perhaps we should all be glad that you ride a bike in preference to driving a car.

However, please remember that pedestrians are vulnerable road/path users and show them the correct (and legal) amount of respect when you share a space with them on your wheeled machine.

I do hope that you manage to work through your anger issues.

That wasn't anger, that was stating the hypocrisy of drivers. You however seem very stupid, sadly there is nothing you can do about that.

I certainly do get annoyed when people try to kill me and then put the blame on me, that is not an anger management issue, that's a perfectly valid response to appalling behaviour.

I prefer not to drive around town as it's the most inconvenient way to travel plus cycling helps you live longer and healthier, so despite the dicks in cars it's a win win situation. When I do drive, I'm courteous and patient to other road users, particularly those more vulnerable than myself.

You should push it. And be careful when you are pushing it.

Try that.

You really are very stupid indeed aren't you, not to mention it's quite rude to not bother reading posts before replying to them. I mentioned that people walk into my bike when I'm stationary and out of the way, you can't be any more careful than that. And no matter how careful one is if pedestrians are not looking where they are going they will trip over bikes, prams, wheelchairs etc. Mobile phones has not helped improve pedestrians lack of awareness. As for the muppets texting and driving.

I should also point out that I've never had any issue whilst cycling on shared areas. Pushing on pavements or standing still with a bike has however resulted in people walking into the bike, because a bike being pushed is somehow rendered invisible.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 00:34 ----------

I agree.

It is quite tedious to hear the repeated excuses of a few cyclists who give the rest a bad name.

The answer to the question in the OP is clear for all to see in the last ten posts on this thread. That is all that needs to be said.

So who on here is giving cyclists a bad name then?

I agree.

So are you OK with many drivers being either not intelligent enough, or too hate-filled to care about distinguishing between those who do go through red lights and/or cycle on pavements, and those who do cycle in a safe, legal manner, and for those drivers to use dangerous driving, verbal abuse and threats of violence to express their displeasure?

Another thing, in a lot of places if I need to use the footway instead of the road there isn't space to push my bicycle.

Why? Because inconsiderate motorists have parked across half of that footway. The only way past is to ride the bike.

Edited by AlexAtkin

So are you OK with many drivers being either not intelligent enough, or too hate-filled to care about distinguishing between those who do go through red lights and/or cycle on pavements, and those who do cycle in a safe, legal manner, and for those drivers to use dangerous driving, verbal abuse and threats of violence to express their displeasure?
What are the chances that Sibon is one of those drivers?