Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

What are the chances that Sibon is one of those drivers?

I should think fairly high, as it seems a minority who DON'T do it.

Interestingly, he would be breaking the exact same law as I am by doing it and causing a MUCH bigger problem to pedestrians.

That wasn't anger, that was stating the hypocrisy of drivers. You however seem very stupid, sadly there is nothing you can do about that.

I certainly do get annoyed when people try to kill me and then put the blame on me, that is not an anger management issue, that's a perfectly valid response to appalling behaviour.

I prefer not to drive around town as it's the most inconvenient way to travel plus cycling helps you live longer and healthier, so despite the dicks in cars it's a win win situation. When I do drive, I'm courteous and patient to other road users, particularly those more vulnerable than myself.

You really are very stupid indeed aren't you, not to mention it's quite rude to not bother reading posts before replying to them. I mentioned that people walk into my bike when I'm stationary and out of the way, you can't be any more careful than that. And no matter how careful one is if pedestrians are not looking where they are going they will trip over bikes, prams, wheelchairs etc. Mobile phones has not helped improve pedestrians lack of awareness. As for the muppets texting and driving.

I should also point out that I've never had any issue whilst cycling on shared areas. Pushing on pavements or standing still with a bike has however resulted in people walking into the bike, because a bike being pushed is somehow rendered invisible.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 00:34 ----------

So who on here is giving cyclists a bad name then?

How can anyone walk into your bike if you are " out of the way"?

Not content to blame motorists for each and every time cyclists break the law, you are now blaming pedestrians for walking on the footpaths?

I laughed out extremely loud and spat my breakfast all over the dining room table when I read your last line, "so who on here is giving cyclists a bad name?"

Keep up the good work, your doing great.

You seem very angry.

Perhaps we should all be glad that you ride a bike in preference to driving a car.

However, please remember that pedestrians are vulnerable road/path users and show them the correct (and legal) amount of respect when you share a space with them on your wheeled machine.

I do hope that you manage to work through your anger issues.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 23:49 ----------

You should push it. And be careful when you are pushing it.

Try that.

And you shouldn't speed. But if you drive, you also speed.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 07:29 ----------

I agree.

It is quite tedious to hear the repeated excuses of a few cyclists who give the rest a bad name.

The answer to the question in the OP is clear for all to see in the last ten posts on this thread. That is all that needs to be said.

What do you think is being excused?

Aren't you currently arguing that someone should push a bike on a shared path. Ie where they are ENTITLED to ride it?

I think you're so keen to tell cyclists what to do that you've not realised what point you're arguing.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 07:30 ----------

Incidentally:

If THAT isn't evidence that the law is not simply black and white, what is?

Someone has been arguing vehemently that this was not a government statement, they're really keen to point out that it's definitely not the law. They've even compared it to Tony Blair lying about weapons of mass destruction!

You do realise that at least one of those "studies" was a self-selected SurveyMonkey form on a motoring organisation's website? No problem if you do, but it's kind of dressing up mutton as lamb to call it a survey. If you are OK with that though, then you might be interested in the similar "study" which found that 82% of motorists admit to speeding.

There is a difference though. Of the cyclists who run red lights, they do so knowingly and intentionally. It's idiotic I know. The problem with motorists is that many of them (including you i suspect) believe that if they go through a light within about 3 seconds of them changing to red, then it doesn't count. They don't even realise that they do it.

A survey is a survey. Plus the other one you choose to overlook was conducted by YouGov. It's safe to say a very significant minority, borderline majority, of cyclists run red lights, whether you do or not. As a driver, I witness first hand a similar proportion in Sheffield, between 1 in 3 and 1 in 2 times a cyclist approaches a red light, where there's no cars crossing their route, they go straight through. I would suggest this causes animosity. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, unless I'm a pedestrian at a crossing, but I can see why it bothers some people.

As for your unfounded and potentially libellous accusations that I break the law and run red lights in my car, I will treat them with the contempt they deserve. Rest assured I am an experienced driver, do at least average annual mileage, and have never had a single point on my licence or caused an accident. I'm not complacent though, and I don't run red lights. I might occasionally gamble on amber, or splash a cyclist with a puddle ... "Just bants!". :hihi:

Ps. To be absolutely clear and serious, in case you don't realise a joke, of course I'd not splash a cyclist and to your earlier question about motorists with road rage, they're idiots and nobody can reasonably condone such behaviour.

Edited by WiseOwl182

And you shouldn't speed. But if you drive, you also speed.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 07:29 ----------

Aren't you currently arguing that someone should push a bike on a shared path. Ie where they are ENTITLED to ride it?

I think you're so keen to tell cyclists what to do that you've not realised what point you're arguing.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 07:30 ----------

Someone has been arguing vehemently that this was not a government statement, they're really keen to point out that it's definitely not the law. They've even compared it to Tony Blair lying about weapons of mass destruction!

The laws are still the same, what you are referring to is an introduction of fixed penalties for riding on footpaths.

The guidance states that it is advised not to issue the fixed penalties to "responsible cyclists"

From what I read on here, that's like saying fine horses for messing on the roads unless it's a rockin horse.

Thank you altus. An interesting read and the contents have been noted.

Cyclone, thats ALL you have to do to be helpful, but no, you opted to be arrogant, high handed and obnoxious about it instead. Feel better now you have it off your chest?

Because, like I said, this information has been provided many, many times in many different threads and I'm fed up of looking it up for people who are ignorant of the facts, yet have an opinion.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 08:44 ----------

The laws are still the same, what you are referring to is an introduction of fixed penalties for riding on footpaths.

The guidance states that it is advised not to issue the fixed penalties to "responsible cyclists"

From what I read on here, that's like saying fine horses for messing on the roads unless it's a rockin horse.

Yes, because all the cyclists who posted on here have said that we ride recklessly on the pavement.

Oh, wait. No we haven't. In fact most of us don't cycle on the pavement at all.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion. :roll:

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 08:46 ----------

A survey is a survey. Plus the other one you choose to overlook was conducted by YouGov. It's safe to say a very significant minority, borderline majority, of cyclists run red lights, whether you do or not.

No it isn't. You're wrong.

As a driver, I witness first hand a similar proportion in Sheffield, between 1 in 3 and 1 in 2 times a cyclist approaches a red light, where there's no cars crossing their route, they go straight through. I would suggest this causes animosity. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, unless I'm a pedestrian at a crossing, but I can see why it bothers some people.

Get on a bike and then you might form an opinion worth listening to.

As a driver, cyclist and pedestrian myself I see a minority of cyclists run red lights. A higher proportion than cars, but at the same time mainly a danger to themselves, unlike the cars that do it.

Because, like I said, this information has been provided many, many times in many different threads and I'm fed up of looking it up for people who are ignorant of the facts, yet have an opinion.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 08:44 ----------

Yes, because all the cyclists who posted on here have said that we ride recklessly on the pavement.

Oh, wait. No we haven't. In fact most of us don't cycle on the pavement at all.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion. :roll:

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 08:46 ----------

Re your last line, you mean like it is an offence to cycle on a footpath?

*note

I wrote, footpath not shared footpath.

Guest sibon

I was making a more general point about cyclists and pavements. If you take the time to read my posts properly, I'm sure that will become apparent to you.

Nevertheless, a cyclist on a crowded shared pathway should also really consider dismounting and pushing. That is self-evidently sensible and in keeping with the highway code.

No, I've really got fed up of providing them time and time again.

You've clearly not looked at all the earlier threads where the evidence is provided, it's not my job to educate you. You continue to argue from your position of ignorance and I know exactly how much credibility to give to anything you say on the subject.

Given that it was an instruction to the police, it's understandable why I consider it to be an instruction to the police... Why don't you?

Something that's just a statement, is just that, it wasn't the change of a law,

No I did not read earlier threads as I am commenting in THIS thread not those. Are you implying that one cannot ask a question or have a comment in a thread unless the have read EVERY other thread in the forum that may or may not impact on a particular thread first? Altus was very helpful in that he gave me the information that you were clearly not able to give me and I have noted the content.

Whether or not it was an instruction to the police is irrelevant as it did not constitute a change in the law so the police do not have to take notice of it. As you say a statement is just that and not a change in the law. The statement remains what it is, the opinion of 2 vote grabbing MPs who did not have the power or backing to change the law