Happy St George's Day 2015

Our identity is that we're English, we have to put up with Paddy's Day, Australia Day, Pakistan Day, so this is our day English and proud shout it loud.

Just saying

In what way do you have to 'put up with' any of those days?

Despite being half Irish I have rarely bothered to celebrate St Patrick's day.

Occasionally I've been invited to a 'do' and gone, but at other times it's past me by with only the odd 'have a happy one' from my Irish relatives.

My wife's birthday happens to fall on Burns Night so although neither of us is Scottish we've been to quite a few Caledonian evenings over the years.

That's the point, it's a bit of a party, a bit of a celebration, but if you're not bothered or feel that it doesn't concern you then that's OK as well, it's hardly going to cause you any major trauma is it?

Our identity is that we're English, we have to put up with Paddy's Day, Australia Day, Pakistan Day, so this is our day English and proud shout it loud.

Just saying

We can all be English without having to be loud and proud surely? In most cases nationality is just an accident of birth. Any other national or saint's day makes no difference to my life whatsoever so I just get on with life without becoming bitter and twisted because somebody has a different nationality to me.

Just saying like.

We can all be English without having to be loud and proud surely? In most cases nationality is just an accident of birth. Any other national or saint's day makes no difference to my life whatsoever so I just get on with life without becoming bitter and twisted because somebody has a different nationality to me.

Just saying like.

Considering you have "far more important and worthwhile things to do with my time than to dabble with trivial matters such as patriotism". ...youve been on this thread and the other one about pubs celebrating St George's Day....quite a lot...

Just Saying....

Considering you have "far more important and worthwhile things to do with my time than to dabble with trivial matters such as patriotism". ...youve been on this thread and the other one about pubs celebrating St George's Day....quite a lot...

Just Saying....

Indeed. Thanks for noticing, it means a lot to me.

Just saying...

Just saying like.

Why can we not be loud & proud about being English, not being bitter jusy showing pride at being English which, according to you is a hanging offence.

Why can we not be loud & proud about being English, not being bitter jusy showing pride at being English which, according to you is a hanging offence.

Unfortunately 'Englishness' has attracted an unsavoury bunch of close minded bigots who's idea of being English tends toward the ignorant jingoistic nonsense which tends to make them look ridiculous and embarrass everyone else.

This should be resisted and pride in the country maintained without overbearing arrogance being part of it.

Some numpties can't help over egging the situation when it comes to proclaiming their 'pride'.

By doing this they show their complete lack of knowledge of the countries history and make other more knowledgeable English people reluctant to voice their genuine affection for the country for fear of being associated with the knuckle draggers.

This is a shame, this country has many things to be proud of and whilst - like all Empires - it also has things to be ashamed of, that should not detract from a persons right to take pride in his/her countries achievements.

Providing both aspects are acknowledged, and pomposity and jingoism are kept in check it should be perfectly acceptable and enjoyable to celebrate Englishness without any problem.

Providing we can leave the Morris Dancers out of it of course! :)