Why is telling girls to be careful rape apologistic

You alluded to something before Cyclone; I think you were referring to the impact these kind of posters have on rape victims' state of mind?

I maintain it's erroneous to draw the conclusion that the victim is to blame, because they didn't take precautions (or for any other reason); however, the issue of what impact these posters have on the victims of rape; is still a very relevant and important one.

In an ideal world, victims or rape and violent attacks, would get the support and help (counselling etc) they need. I've never been raped, or violently attacked; and I can only imagine what state of mind a victim of such crimes may be experiencing (self-blame, self-hate, despair, god only knows what).

Has anyone asked rape victims or rape support organisations, how they feel about such posters?

If it was me who'd been raped, I imagine I'd be thinking they're a good thing, if they're going to help other people, prevent rapes or attacks. I don't think I'd see them as blaming me. Then again, as I said, I've never really been there.

The behaviour of a person can make them not become a victim - or do you doubt that ?

Surely the most important thing is protecting vulnerable people in any circumstance.

The behaviour of a person can make them not become a perpetrator.

It's important not to blame the vulnerable for what happens to them.

The important thing to remember is that some people are predatory, and learning how to avoid them might save you from becoming their prey. :thumbsup:

Who's blamed them? - certainly not me.

BUT if by not highlighting the problems to vulnerable people someone gets assualted, i'll be blaming those who are against the posters.

Well, yes, loraward, but learning how to avoid becoming a predator should be given equal, if not more, importance than learning how not to become prey.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 19:45 ----------

BUT if by not highlighting the problems to vulnerable people someone gets assualted, i'll be blaming those who are against the posters.

I know you aren't blaming them, willman, but the Sussex Police posters do imply that blame.

Edited by horribleblob

I get the feeling some people would say to their child, ahh look at the nice cat isn't it cute, and then blame the lion when it eats their child.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 19:48 ----------

Well, yes, but learning how to avoid becoming a predator should be given equal, if not more, importance than learning how not to become prey.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 19:45 ----------

I know you aren't blaming them, willman, but the Sussex Police posters do imply that blame.

Prey can't learn how not to be predatory, they can only learn how to avoid the predator, and predators are very unlikely to want to learn how to avoid being predatory.

The important thing to remember is that some people are predatory, and learning how to avoid them might save you from becoming their prey. :thumbsup:

They are but it's much more complex than that. The animal kingdom operate within certain parameters..humans don't, their parameters are wide reaching and VERY flexible, they'll work within one if fifty are unavailable, making it much more difficult to protect yourself. Wearing a donkey jacket and Nora Batty leggings won't protect you as much as wearing lipstick and a short skirt.

Most rapes are in the home perped by someone close, haven't seen a campaign aiming at that demographic, not that there may not be one.

I get the feeling some people would say to their child, ahh look at the nice cat isn't it cute, and then blame the lion when it eats their child.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 19:48 ----------

Prey can't learn how not to be predatory, they can only learn how to avoid the predator, and predators are very unlikely to want to learn how to avoid being predatory.

Aha! We seem to be at cross purposes. I was thinking in terms of human intelligence and rationale. My error.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 20:09 ----------

Some people forget that humans are the world's most successful apex predators, so its good that the police remind people of this fact once in a while.

The good thing about humans, though, is that they can choose not to be predators.