Why is telling girls to be careful rape apologistic

'Down-dress'? Explain. Plus, why does telling a woman to be careful imply they should change their clothes? It's not something I've even suggested.

Do you think a risk exists, and if it does that women should ignore it?

"Blokes" get raped too....do you consider that when you leave your front door?

There is risk in EVERYTHING...i believe we should all use our own risk analysis/judgement...generally. A victim will not be targeted on the basis of him or her being advised...rape happens in ALL situations.

Down-dress; Don't wear short skirts, don't wear too much make-up, don't show cleavage...etc etc....

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 02:42 ----------

' why does telling a woman to be careful

What advice would you give in order for a man/woman to avoid being raped?

Is health and safety advice at work blaming the staff?

Perhaps part of the difference is that H&S advice is not different depending on your gender.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:44 ----------

If you were assaulted though, would that person's advice be classed as victim blaming?

Effectively, yes.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:45 ----------

It's not about blame!

In all cases, the attacker/rapist/thief/irresponsible driver should bear the blame.

BUT! We know there are dodgy people on this planet who are happy to wrong us in some way. Advising someone to take precaution against that is NOT blaming the potential victim. What it is doing is trying to get the potential victim to not put themselves in a position where something might happen.

If you tell women not to look attractive for fear of rape then that's unreasonable and is putting the onus on the victim, aka victim blaming.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:47 ----------

You know rapists don't only rape attractive women right? It's generally thought to be about power, hence the rapes of 90 year olds etc.

Which makes the advice of not to wear short skirts, or low cut tops even more pointless and patronizing doesn't it.

It also makes a mockery of the people who DO ask the victims what they were wearing, as if that has any bearing on it.

Ha - what rubbish.

Afraid not. If you're telling girls how to dress to avoid rape, then you're blaming the victims for attracting rapists.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:49 ----------

If you go right back to post #3 Esme explained it quite well.

Guest makapaka
Perhaps part of the difference is that H&S advice is not different depending on your gender.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:44 ----------

Effectively, yes.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:45 ----------

If you tell women not to look attractive for fear of rape then that's unreasonable and is putting the onus on the victim, aka victim blaming.

Which makes the advice of not to wear short skirts, or low cut tops even more pointless and patronizing doesn't it.

It also makes a mockery of the people who DO ask the victims what they were wearing, as if that has any bearing on it.

Afraid not. If you're telling girls how to dress to avoid rape, then you're blaming the victims for attracting rapists.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:49 ----------

If you go right back to post #3 Esme explained it quite well.

No - blaming them would be to tell them its their fault after the event.

For example, if someone tells me not to get drunk because of the risk of being assaulted. I'd politely tell them to do one. Not their business, up to me, acceptable risk, and still not my fault if I AM assaulted.

If you were assaulted though, would that person's advice be classed as victim blaming?

Effectively, yes.

Can you explain why it is?

Again it's telling people to be careful, it's saying it's your fault if your friend goes off on their own and is attacked as much as it's their fault for going off.

It doesn't tell potential attackers not to attack them.

I prefer this poster from Greater Manchester Police http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30111414

You should realise, you can’t educate pork

Why do people lock their doors?
The advice to secure isn’t discriminatory.

Why do people keep their cars in garages or use anti-theft devices?
Again it isn’t discriminatory .

Why do i take a taxi home at 2am after a night out instead of walking through dodgy areas?
Why would you walk through dodgy areas if you know it’s a dodgy area?

Why do people lock their doors?

Why do people keep their cars in garages or use anti-theft devices?

Why do i take a taxi home at 2am after a night out instead of walking through dodgy areas?

Why do people die in the Barnsley Chronicle in alphabetical order ?

There's nothing wrong with telling your daughters to dress modestly.. Yes anyone should be able to wear what they want without fear of been oggled, gropped or raped!

I tell my daughter to dress respectfully all the time, she's 14 and her friends are walking around in little tank tops showing their bellies.. to me that is gross and i dont allow my daughter to dress like that, i call her friends scrubbers (they're not, but i like to make an impact) i want to my daughter to grow up into a respectful woman who carries herself with confidence and beauty..