Why is telling girls to be careful rape apologistic

Guest makapaka
So why are women advised to dress differently to avoid unwanted attention?

No - I'm asking you that question.

What does your gut feeling say? Yes or No?

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 12:23 ----------

She's 14!!!!! what are you lot not getting???

Have you got daughters?

I think they're saying its not a nice thing to call people scrubbers.

The advice to secure isn’t discriminatory.

Again it isn’t discriminatory .

Why would you walk through dodgy areas if you know it’s a dodgy area?

Because people should be allowed to walk where they want without fear of being attacked...

But that's not the world we live in. I take precaution and as much responsibility as I can to ensure my own safety.

Advising someone, ANYONE, to be careful is not victim blaming, it's common sense.

What does your gut feeling say? Yes or No.

It feeds into my question.

My gut feeling is that I don't know the workings of a sexual predators mind, but for the sake of argument, I'd say they don't care what someone wears.

If that's the case, why are women advised to dress differently to avoid unwanted attention?

What does your gut feeling say? Yes or No?

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 12:23 ----------

I think they're saying its not a nice thing to call people scrubbers.

It's not nice! hence the reason i say it to my daughter.. As in my first post, i say it for impact.. My daughter doesnt call them scrubbers! they are her friends..

Guest makapaka
It feeds into my question.

My gut feeling is that I don't know the workings of a sexual predators mind, but for the sake of argument, I'd say they don't care what someone wears.

If that's the case, why are women advised to dress differently to avoid unwanted attention?

I disagree - I think you know it also. If you think a woman doesn't get attention from how they dress you're naive.

I disagree - I think you know it also. If you think a woman doesn't get attention from how they dress you're naive.

Taking it a step further... some dress provocatively because they want that attention.

That's still no reason to justify them being attacked, however.

Women are sometimes advised to dress more modestly to avoid, shall we say, unwanted attention at one end to sexual assault /rape at the other.

So, as a male, have you ever been advised to ask more modestly?

No, not that I can recall.

When choosing what to wear, I take in to consideration, if an item of clothing will help or hinder me, should I be attacked. I emphasise pragmatism over idealism. For example, looking at the matter through wholly pragmatic eyes, I would say, trainers good, high heels bat s**t crazy (in the context of appropriate footwear to get attacked in). Looking at it through idealistic eyes, everyone should be free to do as their hearts desire and we would all be lovely kind and excellent to each other. We just don't live in that world, and ignoring that fact is just downright dangerous.

She's 14!!!!! what are you lot not getting???

Have you got daughters?

Yes, I have 2 daughters...I’ve never had a mind to call their friends scrubbers. You sort of embody the whole issue of blame seeking...”scrubbers!, slags!, sluts!” Etc.. Simply because of dress style...and your targets are 14yr old “friends” of your daughter...is she confused? :confused: