Why is telling girls to be careful rape apologistic

It’s relevant because it highlights how different the scenarios are - no matter how much you say they’re not different.

They clearly are.

What point are you trying to make - do you want me to say women shouldn’t wear bikinis at the beach?

I understand it's difficult to answer without looking inconsistent in your argument. I guess that's why you strangely introduced 5 year olds into the mix.

Beaches and bars have a number of similarities.

So, one more time, why wouldn't you offer advice on avoiding unwanted attention to a bikini wearing woman going to a beach?

Guest makapaka
I understand it's difficult to answer without looking inconsistent in your argument. I guess that's why you strangely introduced 5 year olds into the mix.

Beaches and bars have a number of similarities.

So, one more time, why wouldn't you offer advice on avoiding unwanted attention to a bikini wearing woman going to a beach?

Eh? How many times? Because it’s a different environment/scenario to a bar/pub.

If your mother / daughter / sister said she was wearing a bikini top to the beach or a bikini top in the bee hive on West st at 11pm - would you compare the two to be the same?

Edited by makapaka

Guest makapaka
It's a good question, which highlights why what someone's wearing is such a red herring in these discussions.

Which one's most likely to get some looks and maybe a few comments? I'd say the one in the bikini.

Which one's most likely to get raped?

The one that's unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, when an attacker has the opportunity. Sure, being separated from your friends or being drunk might increase the opportunity, but what you're wearing will have precious little to do with it.

Pensioners get raped. Children get raped. Men get raped. It's got naff all to do with mini skirts, and I wish that archaic nonsence would be put to rest.

Fine, give out helpful useful advice on how to keep safe, but leave what women wear out of it.

I don't think gropers pay much attention to what people are wearing either, it's opportunity again. At least that's been my experience. (Not as a groper, I might add!)

I don’t disagree with most of what your saying.

But there’s no point in arguing that a women with little clothes on will draw less attention than other women. It’s not true.

Im not saying that’s right it’s just a fact. Telling people they are victim blaming for accepting that is stupid.

I don’t disagree with most of what your saying.

But there’s no point in arguing that a women with little clothes on will draw less attention than other women. It’s not true.

Im not saying that’s right it’s just a fact. Telling people they are victim blaming for accepting that is stupid.

I don't disagree with you at all there. Telling someone that if they don't want attention to not draw attention to themselves makes complete sense.

Telling someone to take care, not walk home by themselves etc also makes sense. ie known risks and reasonable ways of mitigating them.

What makes no sense and gets my back up is when people assume that what a person wears has an impact on risk of assault, like it has any bearing on a would be perpetrator's window of opportunity. It's not even an issue of vicitm blaming, it's just barking up the wrong tree and derails these discussions.

I don't disagree with you at all there. Telling someone that if they don't want attention to not draw attention to themselves makes complete sense.

Telling someone to take care, not walk home by themselves etc also makes sense. ie known risks and reasonable ways of mitigating them.

What makes no sense and gets my back up is when people assume that what a person wears has an impact on risk of assault, like it has any bearing on a would be perpetrator's window of opportunity. It's not even an issue of vicitm blaming, it's just barking up the wrong tree and derails these discussions.

On your final point - a person wearing a Celtic shirt and walking through a Rangers area... i'd bet a large wedge that the person may suffer some sort of aggressive attention.

On your final point - a person wearing a Celtic shirt and walking through a Rangers area... i'd bet a large wedge that the person may suffer some sort of aggressive attention.

Fair point.

I should have made it clear I was talking about sexual assault.