Can anyone recommend a decent kettle!

It's not how old the kettle is but how many boilups it has done. I'm retired and home all day so mine gets a lot of use. I recently had two £20 (sale) Russell Hobbs fail after only 18 months use, one after the other over 3 years. The heating element failed with the leakage to earth fault. I had descaled it regularly and frequently and never let it boil with too little water in. Before those two I had a cheapie kettle that lasted a bit longer. But I agree, they don't last long enough. Years ago they lasted about 10 years or so. I think they make them to fail after about 18 months, just as the guarantee runs out.

:roll: 2 pages, many replies, :loopy: I am about to lose the will to live :loopy:

How did we cope before the internet???

A Kettle?? What next ? Can anyone recommend a decent thread :P

Yes, how about a teapot that is stable when empty as well as full, doesn't drip from the spout and doesn't have sharp edges on the handle.

But back to the kettle -I like those that don't need a crowbar to open the lid, a good bright indicator when switched on and has a level-window that can be seen clearly from across the kitchen. £12 from Morrisons.

I dont' get how people make kettles expire unless you all have really hard water and enver descale them or summat?

I only ever bought two kettles - the first died just short of it's 25th birthday and the second is now five and going strong - a Breville with a flat base "concealed" element. About £20 from ASDA

My kettle breaks every couple of years because we don't descale them.