When Did Granville College Open?

Hello everybody - five years late to respond to this topic, but I can tell you that Granville College of Further Education was built by BAM Construct UK (which was then called Higgs and Hill) which won the contract in 1957 and it would have taken a year or so to build, so 1958 is definitely a likely opening date, and in all probability, September that year for the start of term. You'll find the green and orange of BAM around Sheffield a lot these days too for both of the City's universities among others.

On 23/04/2015 at 23:30, beezerboy said:

Not sure when it actually opened but I went there in 1960 whilst apprenticed at E S C. Geoff Stringfellow was also there in the same class.After two years we moved to Pond St

Yes, Geoff Stringfellow worked. At ESC Brightside after leaving Burngreave school, his dad Jim worked there also.

This weird, I started at ESC ,Sept '60 in the training shop, went to Granville with Geoff Stringfellow, There was a really tall guy ,I  think he was called Brian Pickering ( he later joined the police force). After I was transferred to Central area maintenance where Geoff's dad Jim was a rough fitter, We covered the heavy plate mill, CGF Crank shaft press,all cranes , furnaces in that area. From there it was off to Pond St to complete C &  G M/c Shop Engineering .

Edited by beezerboy