Economic Migrants:what if they can't earn enough to support themselves

A reciprocal agreement doesn't take that much effort surely.

Citizens of the EU can settle anywhere within the EU, once living there they can claim whatever benefits are available as appropriate as if they were citizens of that country.

That's right, but they are not migrants and not subject to immigration control at present

We have reciprocal agreements that allow UK nationals to go to anywhere in the EU and claim benefits.

No we don't. I have lived in Spain and I have friends from all over Europe. The laws are not general. You cannot live in Spain and claim benefits until you have paid into their system for at least 6 months continuously. Likewise in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and France.

We have reciprocal agreements that allow UK nationals to go to anywhere in the EU and claim benefits.

I'm not sure about this. It certainly doesn't allow you to just go and start claiming benefits on day one. I live in Southern Europe and I had to work 6 months before I could receive publicly insured health care. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to receive unemployment benefit as soon as I landed.

This is fundamentally one of the major downfalls of an EU which includes countries with different economic strengths. There's no benefit to countries like the UK and Germany opening their borders to countries like Slovakia because it's always going to be completely one-sided. The stronger country ends up gaining a mass amount of immigrants and having to pay out to accommodate them while the weaker country gains none and has to pay out nothing. It levels the playing field but at the expense of the stronger countries.

Edited by BarryRiley

No we don't. I have lived in Spain and I have friends from all over Europe. The laws are not general. You cannot live in Spain and claim benefits until you have paid into their system for at least 6 months continuously. Likewise in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and France.

That is correct, and guess where the harshest limitations are? Here in Blighty :)

Simple solution-- adopt the Austrailian method catch em on the way here and ship them off to Scotland, plenty of remote islands up there for them to colonise. Give them a set of gardening/building tools each, a bag of seeds and let them get on with it!!

Or Wales waddy as Sturgeon and Wood seem to love all the immigrants and how we should welcome them!

:):)

---------- Post added 24-04-2015 at 13:23 ----------

That is correct, and guess where the harshest limitations are? Here in Blighty :)

Serious question tzijstra as I've never had to "come here"!

What are the harsh limitations?

:confused:

Serious question tzijstra as I've never had to "come here"!

What are the harsh limitations?

Brief summary with some additional, useful statistics. Same info from a different and politically-opposed source.

Some more details if you wish, courtesy of the Northern Ireland gov website (lest people forget, NI is UK, same rules there than here on mainland, I couldn't find the uk.gov equivalent at short notice).

Put it that way: the limitations are harsh(er) enough, that the EU is trying to drag the UK over hot coals about it. Not that I expect the EU to succeed, at least so long as the UK maintains a Tory (or, well, 'right') Gvt.

All falling into line with the Coalition's slow and steady approach to redefining the UK's relationship with the EU, hand-in-hand with La Merkel (who faces the exact same problems as the UK, with the extra and not-so-trivial problem of thousands of miles of unsecured land borders, what with Germany not being an island).

Edited by L00b

Catch?

If we're talking about EU nationals then they aren't economic migrants and have a right to be here.

QUOTE]

This thread was intended to include EU nationals from overseas that come to the UK to increase their earnings as economic migrants (sometimes fleeing poverty), as the politicians refer to them as such. ;)

Leave the EU.........there's your answer.

Plus,stopping migrants from claiming benefits for a length of time,after they have paid into the system,only encourages them to work for cash in hand,especially if they are only intending to stay for a relatively short time...........they get no benefit,so why pay tax.............result,UK loses tax revenue.

Edited by chalga

Leave the EU.........there's your answer.

Plus,stopping migrants from claiming benefits for a length of time,after they have paid into the system,only encourages them to work for cash in hand,especially if they are only intending to stay for a relatively short time...........they get no benefit,so why pay tax.............result,UK loses tax revenue.

If the UK is paying out more than the short staying migrants are paying in then there's not much revenue to lose...