Sheffield Wednesday 1960's

I saw Wednesday play Ajax in a friendly. It was when Vic Buckingham was manager. He managed Ajax before and after Wednesday.

Might be mistaken, but wasn't the ajax game, redfern froggatts Testimonial Match.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 11:58 ----------

Wednesday have never played Cologne or Ajax in the Fairs Cup. As you say they did play Barcelona and another notable was Roma.[/quote

inter cities fairs cup

1961/62 Wednesday matches.

Lyon.

Roma.

Barcelona ( Quarter Final )

1963/64 Wednesday matches.

Dos Utrecht

( Koln ) Cologne.

as I stated before, im sure the ajax match was redfern Froggatts testimonial game, I have the programme knocking about somewhere.

Can you imagine beating Barcelona at home 3-2 ? Those were the days, eh?

Have just found a programme for a match against Tbilisi Dynamo on 7 November 1960. I seem to have got a few my dad got for me just before I started going. It's only a folded sheet of paper and he got ripped off 2d. You only paid 6d for a proper one in those days.

Also found my Cup Final ticket from 66. Paid 22/6 in the North Stand at Wembley. London prices obviously!

The first game I saw the Owls play European opposition was in 1957,( I think)

against Juventus, featuring the legendary John Charles who had just not long joined them. The game ,a friendly,- was set up by, who else? Eric Taylor, in a way of promoting football relationships. I forgot the score, if the score mattered but 'Juve' to their credit put out a full team and even played in their famous black and white stripes.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 15:18 ----------

I see the Red Froggatt game was a 'Benefit match', not a testimonial which is different, but perhaps as a long serving Owl (I think he'd been retired over three years by 1962) he got both. The date on the programme by the way, is one week before the first 'Pele-Santos' visit.

The first time my dad took me Hillsborough we beat Chelsea 6-1 ..... it was then end of '66 I think..

December 31st. 1966, New Years Eve and not a good 'Auld Lang Syne' for the then Blues manager Tommy Docherty. It's been said on S.F. before in reference to that game, that out of the seven, Bobby Tambling's screamer at the Kop end was one of the best ever from a visiting player. I was there too!

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone go to a game (especially Sheffield Wednesday V West Brom) in December 1961.....or any Sheffield Wednesday games in the 60's. What was it like? Did they sell food? Any memories. Who were the players? Anything amusing happen? Any incidents? Would love to include in a novel I'm writing.

Cheers from a wet and rainy Australia... ha! ha! Think you are enjoying our sun!http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif

My uncle used to take me, I remember the owls played Arsenal, there was a downpour, we were on the kop and everyone went to shelter under the tunnel, my legs did not touch the ground I was carried along with the crowd, I thought I was going to die.

My cousin Pat married Bronco Layne in the sixties, the reception was at the Chequers pub Whiston, ex owl Keith Ellis was the landlord.

My uncle used to take me, I remember the owls played Arsenal, there was a downpour, we were on the kop and everyone went to shelter under the tunnel, my legs did not touch the ground I was carried along with the crowd, I thought I was going to die.

My cousin Pat married Bronco Layne in the sixties, the reception was at the Chequers pub Whiston, ex owl Keith Ellis was the landlord.

Tunnel on the Kop?