Sheffield Wednesday 1960's

Some fabulous replies here...lots to get me writing. Not sure I understand what " when a bloke stripped of baluko " means... what's baluko... Does it mean he streaked?

Can anyone remember how much it cost to go to a football match or how much a pie cost? Any of those memories would be great. Did they wear the woollen blue and white striped scarf. What did the players wear? Did the crowd sing did they have any chants?

Loved reading about the Boxing Day Massacre of 1979. It seems though that matches were much calmer non of the aggro that goes on now. I can imagine the excitement of being passed over the heads of the crowd. Did girls go to matches or was it just the boys. I never went as a child even though I remember my dad and brother going.

Thanks everyone!

I seem to think it was 1/6 for kids and 3/- for adults in standing areas.

It was scarfs, bobble hats and wooden rattles.

Don't think there were any chants at all in the early 60s. Maybe that would be late 60s early 70s.

Definitely predominantly male support in those days.

...Can anyone remember how much it cost to go to a football match...
In the mid-1950s it cost 9d for "juveniles" to stand behind the goal or on the kop; it would have been about double for adults, perhaps 1s 6d. It naturally cost more for important matches - see here for a 1962 example.

In 1966 a seat in the South Stand for a World Cup match cost £2.2s.

There were never many police there in the 1950s - one at each corner and a couple more walking up and down.

Edited by hillsbro

In the mid-1950s it cost 9d for "juveniles" to stand behind the goal or on the kop; it would have been about double for adults, perhaps 1s 6d. It naturally cost more for important matches - see here for a 1962 example.

In 1966 a seat in the South Stand for a World Cup match cost £2.2s.

There were never many police there in the 1950s - one at each corner and a couple more walking up and down.

Yes that'd be right hillsboro. 1/6 was stuck in my head. Thought that was when I was ' juvenile '. Mists of time and all that.

Remember paying a halfpenny for a team sheet for reserve matches.

I'd forgotten about the stewarding. What stewards ? No need cos people knew how to behave on the whole. Half a dozen coppers to police the whole thing.

Unfortunately it did all change in the 70s

There was a tree at the top left corner [looking up] of the Kop us kids would climb it for a better view.

Baluko = streaker ,sorry.

Blimey cuttsie , I'd forgotten there was a tree there. Can you imagine that these days? Unbelievable safety hazard. Forget people climbing in it, someone might have slipped on a leaf !

Baluko ? That derived from b*****k naked ?

Blimey cuttsie , I'd forgotten there was a tree there. Can you imagine that these days? Unbelievable safety hazard. Forget people climbing in it, someone might have slipped on a leaf !

Baluko ? That derived from b*****k naked ?

Wasn't it a crab apple tree?

Two great memories of my 1960's. Pele with FC Santos at Hillsborough and Hendrix at the City Hall. We'll never see the like of either. The Inter cities Fairs Cup brought many great teams to Hillsborough. Lyon Ultrech Cologne Ajax

Edited by mickyboy

Two great memories of my 1960's. Pele with FC Santos at Hillsborough and Hendrix at the City Hall. We'll never see the like of either. The Inter cities Fairs Cup brought many great teams to Hillsborough. Lyon Ultrech Cologne Ajax

Don't remember Owls v Ajax in the Fairs Cup (Johan Cruyff would have been with them then), one notable exception from the list is Barcelona who were as formidable in Europe then as they are now.

Don't remember Owls v Ajax in the Fairs Cup (Johan Cruyff would have been with them then), one notable exception from the list is Barcelona who were as formidable in Europe then as they are now.

Wednesday have never played Cologne or Ajax in the Fairs Cup. As you say they did play Barcelona and another notable was Roma.

I saw Wednesday play Ajax in a friendly. It was when Vic Buckingham was manager. He managed Ajax before and after Wednesday.