Sheffield Wednesday 1960's

Used to go to all Wednesday's home matches in the early sixties with my dad.

He'd got a new job in Sheffield, and before the family came across, he was "living" at the Grand Hotel, where he'd managed to get Pele's autograph for me.

When we (the family) joined him in Sheffield, all of us moved in to the Rutland Hotel on Glossop Road for (as it turned out) about a year and a half....it was at this time that I became interested in the Owls and we started going to Hillsboro'.

Another hotel resident at the time was some high-up secretary at the club, and after a while she offered to get the team's autographs for me....this would've been Swan, Layne, Colin Dobson and the like.

Duly gave her the autograph book, and pester though I did, I never saw it again!

She moved out of the hotel before we did, so I never did get the team's signatures!

December 31st. 1966, New Years Eve and not a good 'Auld Lang Syne' for the then Blues manager Tommy Docherty. It's been said on S.F. before in reference to that game, that out of the seven, Bobby Tambling's screamer at the Kop end was one of the best ever from a visiting player. I was there too!

I was at that game too, little did we know it would be downhill for a long time after, against that club, including the FA cup quarter final defeat at Stamford Bridge 3 .months later, I was at that one too.

I was at that game too, little did we know it would be downhill for a long time after, against that club, including the FA cup quarter final defeat at Stamford Bridge 3 .months later, I was at that one too.

We took 18,000 down to London that day. What a sickener that late mis-hit goal was. That was when the FA Cup meant something.

We took 18,000 down to London that day. What a sickener that late mis-hit goal was. That was when the FA Cup meant something.

Yes, it was that, my most vivid memory was Bonetti saving from McCalliog, he leapt from his near post to his far top corner, and tipped it out, amazing. Do you remember the big Grand National story of that day? We heard it on our tran, during the match.sistor.

Yes, it was that, my most vivid memory was Bonetti saving from McCalliog, he leapt from his near post to his far top corner, and tipped it out, amazing. Do you remember the big Grand National story of that day? We heard it on our tran, during the match.sistor.

Foinavon 100/1. When you see that grainy black and white film of the pile up that they always show on the telly it seems like a lifetime ago but here is some great colour film of it.

Foinavon 100/1. When you see that grainy black and white film of the pile up that they always show on the telly it seems like a lifetime ago but here is some great colour film of it.

Amazing footage Jim, thanks, don't think I ever saw the old black and white one either, we stayed in London overnight and the biggest part of Sunday, just saw pictures in the paper, by the time we got home the story was "old hat", I suppose.

Not a good day for me losing 1-0, and backing the 15/2 favourite Honey End ridden by Josh Gifford and chasing Foinavon home. Al least i have a good memory.