The antics of certain cyclists in Sheffield.

It's illegal, but, two home secretaries have advised cyclists to carefully use the pavement if it's safer for them... (Why they didn't change the law I don't know).

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:57 ----------

Kind of missing the point.

If i have to swerve in my car due to a poor act of road safety due to a cyclist - would the cyclist stop?

Would a motorist? What are we, hypothetical mind readers?

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:58 ----------

If someone crashes a pram into my expensive trike, worth more than my car, who pays for the damage?

It's not a lay back style pram is it? I saw someone on Penistone road maybe a week or two ago, making good speed, but I wouldn't want to be so low with car drivers around.

Hello hicksy3 not spouting off old son mearly replying to a thread made by onewheel dave also can you tell me if its okay to cycle on pavements or not,is it illegal or not.and by the way i cycle as well.

No offence taken. It is illegal to cycle on pavements. There are a lot of occasions though when it makes more sense to do so for a short stretch than to use a road. As long as no inconvenience is caused, it won't be a problem. But clearly there are numptys on two wheels unable to break the law in a considerate manner that doesn't cause grief.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Hello hicksy3 not spouting off old son mearly replying to a thread made by onewheel dave also can you tell me if its okay to cycle on pavements or not,is it illegal or not.and by the way i cycle as well.

I'd say it's OK to cycle on the pavement, as long as it's done responsibly: I object as much as anyone when idiots whizz by in such a way that, had the pedestrian stepped to the side a second earlier, they would have been hit by the bike.

I guess cycling sedately and responsibly on the pavement is illegal, however, so is speeding a few mph over the road limit in cars, so is using a phone, so are a multitude of other things people do routinely every day of their lives. Certainly, when it comes to the likes of driving while on the phone, the potential consequences in terms of people getting hurt are far greater than those of cycling sedately and responsibly on the pavement.

(As previously mentioned, it's also illegal to pip your horn to express annoyance or objection to a cyclists actions- doesn't stop motorists doing so, in fact many are utterly unaware that it's illegal).

Fact is, the roads are not safe for cyclists, however carefull and responsible they are- there are several incidents per year of cyclists killed by being run into the back of by innattentative motorists, and, many more due to bad passing etc.

No surprise that they use the pavements.

It's illegal, but, two home secretaries have advised cyclists to carefully use the pavement if it's safer for them... (Why they didn't change the law I don't know).

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:57 ----------

Would a motorist? What are we, hypothetical mind readers?

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:58 ----------

It's not a lay back style pram is it? I saw someone on Penistone road maybe a week or two ago, making good speed, but I wouldn't want to be so low with car drivers around.

Yes, recumbent trike although I've stopped commuting on it since moving workplace to Hillsborough, mainly because it's not safe or even possible to filter up Holme Lane the same as on a 2-wheeler.

Though I find mostly that drivers give me a wider berth on the bent than on the upright bike

So it wasn't me, but it can get up a decent speed downhill, positively flies down from Fox House to Ecclesall Road, but tends to run out of gears on a gentler downhill quite early thanks to its 20" wheels - wish I'd held out for a 700C rear drive wheel model

It's basically a grown up kart

As a seasoned cyclist, I agree with the OPs sentiments entirely.

You've got to bear in mind that that sort of stupidity from a cyclist is likely to result in serious injury to themselves , whereas when you get drivers doing it, it is more likely to result in injury to someone else.

Agreed, I'm also a seasoned cyclist (and motorist) but have seen people riding bikes irresponsibly. Perhaps it's the TDF 'legacy'.

In fact many many years ago I used to believe it was safer to ride on pavements and perhaps I too was occasionally reckless. Over time I learned to be a better, defensive cyclist who obeys the rules of the road. Perhaps these cyclists are going through the same motions. Perhaps better education would prevent this from happening.

I now take the time to thank motorists who are patient when I hold them up, and sometimes very occasionally, they will thank me back.. which is nice.

Whilst i feel for the op i cant help but think this is a pointless waste of time as far as threads go. The large militant side of the cycling community sort of make proper debate impossible.

You are absolutely right.

The militant cyclist types to which you refer will accept little or no criticism and despite the truth of what I'm about to type they will blow hot air and make excuses for not acknowledging the accuracy of the following.

A point the OP raised that raise another. The cyclist he was refering to was not making itself aware of traffic conditions or the presence of other road users by looking around oi more particularly behind. Yet would no doubt blame any other party for an xollisions that might have occured even if the cyclist was at fault.

I've stated my objections to pedal cyclists being on roads that are used byqualified motorists and won't repeat them here.

There is another point that was raised, admittedly inadvertently, by the OP and one that I have previously overlooked.

Other than the equestrian users of the road..lets not go there in this thread.

Every road user other than pedal cyclists has to have at least one mirror to see what is behind and failing to check what is behind before every maneuver will result in a failed driving test and or can lead to being cited for driving without due care and attention. Not having a mirror wil get you a fail on your MOT.

As well as mirrors motorcyclists have it ingrained into them to perform a life-saver .. which, as well as using mirrors, involves tutningoners head and looking behind before every change in either pace or direction.

Few pedal cyclists have mirrors and not many more perform life-savers. It almost appears as though they want die.

Until pedal cyclist have compulsory training as do motorcylists and have to attain a given level of proficiency we are justified in thinking that when on the road these people are accidents waiting to happen.

If they are to continue to ride anywhere other than on private land. There should be far more legislation in regard to the pedal cyclist and their cycles to bring them in line with other road users.

Guest busdriver1
You are absolutely right.

The militant cyclist types to which you refer will accept little or no criticism and despite the truth of what I'm about to type they will blow hot air and make excuses for not acknowledging the accuracy of the following.

A point the OP raised that raise another. The cyclist he was refering to was not making itself aware of traffic conditions or the presence of other road users by looking around oi more particularly behind. Yet would no doubt blame any other party for an xollisions that might have occured even if the cyclist was at fault.

I've stated my objections to pedal cyclists being on roads that are used byqualified motorists and won't repeat them here.

There is another point that was raised, admittedly inadvertently, by the OP and one that I have previously overlooked.

Other than the equestrian users of the road..lets not go there in this thread.

Every road user other than pedal cyclists has to have at least one mirror to see what is behind and failing to check what is behind before every maneuver will result in a failed driving test and or can lead to being cited for driving without due care and attention. Not having a mirror wil get you a fail on your MOT.

As well as mirrors motorcyclists have it ingrained into them to perform a life-saver .. which, as well as using mirrors, involves tutningoners head and looking behind before every change in either pace or direction.

Few pedal cyclists have mirrors and not many more perform life-savers. It almost appears as though they want die.

Until pedal cyclist have compulsory training as do motorcylists and have to attain a given level of proficiency we are justified in thinking that when on the road these people are accidents waiting to happen.

If they are to continue to ride anywhere other than on private land. There should be far more legislation in regard to the pedal cyclist and their cycles to bring them in line with other road users.

The whole problem here is that SOME cyclists want it all their own way. They want to be given respect and space as road users, then when it suits, they want to use a footpath (normally to avoid stopping at a red light), and still demand respect from other road and pavement users.

Sorry but I was always taught that respect can not be given, it has to be earned.

As long as the cycling Mafia are on here, proper debate is not possible as they will slew any argument as quick as they mount the kerb at a red light to justify their poor behaviour and expect others to agree with their warped sense of right and wrong.

Tommo68, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If my driving licence is somehow not enough to qualify me to ride a bike on the road, OK I'll do extra training.

Motorists should do some extra training too, including showing evidence of having ridden a cycle or moped safely for six months before they can get a provisional licence.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android