The antics of certain cyclists in Sheffield.

My daughter took bikeabilty at Junior school. She now tells me off for cycling too close to the kerb and not taking the lane

And there in lies much of the problem :)

Cyclists moving at a snails pace and sitting in the middle of the road thus stopping other traffic moving freely thus causing frustration for some drivers. This is sneered at by most cyclists and the reply is usually 'Tough ill ride where i like because i can' or some other childish dribble.

One interesting suggestion (from a motorist I believe) was that completion of bikabilty level 3 at school should in some way contribute to your progress towards a full driving licence, e.g. exemption from some parts of the theory test. or taken into consideration toward car insurance

I've said that too. Or a motorbike CBT. Having had some minimal experience of road use as a vulnerable user could well make for more patient, forward thinking driving from those motorists who don't regularly cycle or use motorbikes.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

And there in lies much of the problem :)

Cyclists moving at a snails pace and sitting in the middle of the road thus stopping other traffic moving freely thus causing frustration for some drivers. This is sneered at by most cyclists and the reply is usually 'Tough ill ride where i like because i can' or some other childish dribble.

So the problem lies with impatient drivers who are unable to cope with other forms of traffic on the road behaving correctly.

Simple then, take away the license from such drivers.

And there in lies much of the problem

I used to make myself good and narrow, but had too many near misses when cars overtook going into pinchpoints. I'll take primary position for my own safety, rather than because it's 'childish dribble'. Did you mean 'drivel'?

I used to make myself good and narrow, but had too many near misses when cars overtook going into pinchpoints. I'll take primary position for my own safety, rather than because it's 'childish dribble'. Did you mean 'drivel'?

Yeah but auto correct screwed me over and i didnt notice.

---------- Post added 27-05-2015 at 15:43 ----------

So the problem lies with impatient drivers who are unable to cope with other forms of traffic on the road behaving correctly.

No the problem is with the people causing the delays, tailbacks and stress by doing something thats of no real benefit and only serves to irritate some drivers. To top it all off some of these people dont even have insurance so if they fall of their bike and hurt someone's pride and joy theres usually no comeback for the driver and bang goes his or her no claim.

Edited by Timeh

Yeah but auto correct screwed me over and i didnt notice.

---------- Post added 27-05-2015 at 15:43 ----------

No the problem is with the people causing the delays, tailbacks and stress by doing something thats of no real benefit and only serves to irritate some drivers. To top it all off some of these people dont even have insurance so if they fall of their bike and hurt someone's pride and joy theres usually no comeback for the driver and bang goes his or her no claim.

Glad to see that you're coming round to the cyclist's point of view about single occupancy cars and short journeys :hihi:

One interesting suggestion (from a motorist I believe) was that completion of bikabilty level 3 at school should in some way contribute to your progress towards a full driving licence, e.g. exemption from some parts of the theory test. or taken into consideration toward car insurance

It is an interesting suggestion, but I definitely prefer the latter car insurance idea to the theory test one. Many of the problems still occur after people have gone to the trouble to brush up on the Highway Code, pass a test and then decide to ignore them or decide they just apply to everybody else. The Bikeability website suggests taking level 1 at age 8-10 and potentially going straight onto levels 2 and 3. I actually didn't ride a bike between taking my cycling proficiency at age 10 and my mid-20s, so I'd be very loathe about the idea of loosening the theory test requirements based on having taken a cycling test in childhood.

So this thread in conclusion:

- Some cyclists are morons

- The rest are not morons

- Some motorists are morons

- The rest are not morons.

Repeat ad nauseum until the thread gets locked.

ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum

ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum ad nauseum

That's the best post ever.