The antics of certain cyclists in Sheffield.

Tommo68, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If my driving licence is somehow not enough to qualify me to ride a bike on the road, OK I'll do extra training.

Motorists should do some extra training too, including showing evidence of having ridden a cycle or moped safely for six months before they can get a provisional licence.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

What possible reason is there for that? Thats almost the same as saying if you want to learn how to fly a plane you must have driven a milk float for half a year.

Pointless.

I don't know. I'd suggest you sell the trike and buy a better car.

Will that mean that if it's damaged in a supermarket car park the person who causes the damage will magically pay for it?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 07:45 ----------

You are absolutely right.

The militant cyclist types to which you refer will accept little or no criticism and despite the truth of what I'm about to type they will blow hot air and make excuses for not acknowledging the accuracy of the following.

A point the OP raised that raise another. The cyclist he was refering to was not making itself aware of traffic conditions or the presence of other road users by looking around oi more particularly behind. Yet would no doubt blame any other party for an xollisions that might have occured even if the cyclist was at fault.

I've stated my objections to pedal cyclists being on roads that are used byqualified motorists and won't repeat them here.

There is another point that was raised, admittedly inadvertently, by the OP and one that I have previously overlooked.

Other than the equestrian users of the road..lets not go there in this thread.

Every road user other than pedal cyclists has to have at least one mirror to see what is behind and failing to check what is behind before every maneuver will result in a failed driving test and or can lead to being cited for driving without due care and attention. Not having a mirror wil get you a fail on your MOT.

As well as mirrors motorcyclists have it ingrained into them to perform a life-saver .. which, as well as using mirrors, involves tutningoners head and looking behind before every change in either pace or direction.

Few pedal cyclists have mirrors and not many more perform life-savers. It almost appears as though they want die.

Until pedal cyclist have compulsory training as do motorcylists and have to attain a given level of proficiency we are justified in thinking that when on the road these people are accidents waiting to happen.

If they are to continue to ride anywhere other than on private land. There should be far more legislation in regard to the pedal cyclist and their cycles to bring them in line with other road users.

And despite all your bluster, the main cause of death for cyclist is motorist error. Not cyclist error.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 07:46 ----------

The whole problem here is that SOME cyclists want it all their own way. They want to be given respect and space as road users, then when it suits, they want to use a footpath (normally to avoid stopping at a red light), and still demand respect from other road and pavement users.

Sorry but I was always taught that respect can not be given, it has to be earned.

As long as the cycling Mafia are on here, proper debate is not possible as they will slew any argument as quick as they mount the kerb at a red light to justify their poor behaviour and expect others to agree with their warped sense of right and wrong.

If your lack of respect involves endangering someones life then you should be banned from driving. If it doesn't alter that you drive safely then I don't give a fig or not whether you respect random strangers.

You realise that only 1 poster on this thread runs red lights, all the other cyclists do not... Or is that a bit inconvenient for your moralising position?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 07:47 ----------

What possible reason is there for that? Thats almost the same as saying if you want to learn how to fly a plane you must have driven a milk float for half a year.

Pointless.

What's the matter, scared you might learn something?

The reason is to learn just how vulnerable cyclists are, and to realise that what you might consider to be safe from inside the car, feels very different when you're a cyclist on the other side... :roll:

And this is why its pointless debating things with you and your ilk.

:)

Have you been out driving this morning? I only ask because at least 4 drivers this morning have overtaken me far to close. Maybe one of them was you.

And this is why motorists should be required to learn to cycle. So that they understand how to drive around cyclists safely.

Why wouldn't you want to? Scared to learn something was a bit flippant, but what's the real reason?

Oh, with regards to your analogy, if you think aircraft and milk floats share the same space like cars and bikes then you've got it a bit confused.

Have you been out driving this morning? I only ask because at least 4 drivers this morning have overtaken me far to close. Maybe one of them was you.

Maybe it wasnt. Maybe the cars didnt go to close to you but in fact you weaved into their path or just went too close to them? Maybe you were at fault. Is that possible?

You're just demonstrating your ignorance some more...

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213) and 214 to 215).

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

But for your information, no I didn't swerve or wobble. They simply couldn't be bothered to pull out to safely overtake.

I struggle to understand how you can possibly imagine that being overtaken dangerously whilst cycling could EVER be the cyclists fault. The onus of care is on the vehicle performing the overtake.

And this is why debate with you is pointless. You don't care, you're not interested in being better or safer, you just want to prove some sort of point.

Edited by Cyclone

And this is why motorists should be required to learn to cycle. So that they understand how to drive around cyclists safely.

Why wouldn't you want to? Scared to learn something was a bit flippant, but what's the real reason?

Oh, with regards to your analogy, if you think aircraft and milk floats share the same space like cars and bikes then you've got it a bit confused.

Another example from this morning as I was cycling to work along Effingham Road, a car overtaking me as I had my arm out indicating to turn right who had plenty of time to slow down to allow me to turn. Not for the first time at the same place.

By thinking that if I wobbled that would somehow make the dangerous overtake my fault.

I asked a question. I know you struggle to debate on this subject but come on, if you cant even answer a question without getting all uppity and defensive, well theres little point carrying on is there.

Glad you didnt get injured by the way and id suggest you invest in a helmet or bike cam if you havent already :)