Rent controls - good or bad?

I would prefer its value to fall because the next house I want will have seen its value fall, making it more affordable. If its value as increased then the value of the house I want will have also increased, making it less affordable.

So will you sell it for the increased value or what you paid for it?

BTL investors are all millionaires - didn't you know :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

They buy up all the decent properties in an area, then put the left over money in a bag and flog a horse to death with it.

Thats what rich people do.

No they are not, in fact I estimate that the majority of BTL landlords are far from being millionaires.

Equally the vast majority are decent people happy to be in a position where they can help people get a home.

Thats what decent people do.

Carping, envious, underachievers seek to undermine anything positive honest and good. Pathetic.

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 13:34 ----------

If savings and pensions were good places to hold money, then there would be a lot less of these BTL investors of an older age getting into the market. As I said earlier the majority of Landlords have 1 property let out... the effort required in letting out 2 properties is not much different than it is for 1, the effort for 3 is much the same... the reason many Landlords have 1 property is because they think it is a nest-egg within their control, but few realise the effort and the dismay that can be born from the experiment... unless you are a very uncaring and a very unprofessional Landlord then it is not an easy task. I would nearly always advise the people with 1 property to consider another vehicle for their investment if they have no ambition to get more and become a proper Landlord (I don't mean "proper" disparagingly, I hope that's understood, I realise a Landlord with 1 property can be very professional).

Pensions were good places to invest money for your retirement, until Gordon Brown raided them to finance Labours nonsensical schemes including invading sovereign nations and committing murder in our name.

Pensions were good places to invest money for your retirement, until Gordon Brown raided them to finance Labours nonsensical schemes including invading sovereign nations and committing murder in our name.

Well, that's a different thread... all I know is my pension sucks balls and I've been paying [a lot] into it since I was 23.

BTL investors are all millionaires - didn't you know :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

They buy up all the decent properties in an area, then put the left over money in a bag and flog a horse to death with it.

Thats what rich people do.

I know, my houses make me so much money im just about to buy another Bentley and a helicopter. :hihi:

I know, my houses make me so much money im just about to buy another Bentley and a helicopter. :hihi:

Tough isn't it, I hear some landlords just end up burning the money as they have literally no idea what to do with it.

Sad times.

In the example we were talking about, a mortgage of 90k and a house worth 1k, there is no deal to be made. You're stuck unless you can pay it off.

The market was massively down, transactions levels halved.

We'd all (probably) like house prices to stop increasing, no one really benefits except those who own more than 1 house or invest in the housing market some other way, and everyone else loses out.

I don't think a bank is going to be overly bothered about you moving, after all the house you are in would no longer be good security for the debt you owe.

And transaction were down because prices were to high and not because their was a shortage of people wanting an house. If the sellers had lowered their prices they would have sold.

So people don't get locked in by negative equity, it's just some myth someone made up.

Prices fell, and transactions tumbled off a cliff. Not the other way around.

Transactions fell because sellers were unwilling to sell at a price that buyers were willing to pay and people in negative equity can still sell their house.

No they didn't. Transactions fell because lending became extremely constrained and FTB could no longer buy the houses that were on offer at the new lower prices.

Coupled with the fact that those in negative equity were unable to sell because they wouldn't get another mortgage and those who were in no rush decided to postpone selling.

And this was all triggered by a minor price correction, you were talking about the greatest crash in history.