Rent controls - good or bad?

when milk stores are raided due to bad weather does that automatically push the price of milk up? because when I went to the local store a few days later this winter I'm sure it was the same price.

Are you trying to suggest that bad weather increases the demand for milk?

It doesn't, it just alters the buying pattern for it.

When supply falls for some reason prices go up. I didn't use milk in my example, I used steak, but as another example look at the price of bread and what happens after a bad wheat harvest.

Can someone please tell me what happens if Labour restrict a Landlord from increasing his rent, then interest rates go up. If the mortgage increases but the Landlord can't increase the rent how does he make up the short fall.

If he doesn't the property gets repossessed and the tenants get kicked out.

Just another short sighted policy from Labour aimed at getting support from their core vote who might not always think or care about long term consequences.

If by agree you meant I tried to look it up, couldn't find a figure for households, but found an entirely different figure for the population in general.

Yes you found the number of people in receipt of HB and it did in fact confirm that approximately 1/5th of all households are in receipt of HB.

Can someone please tell me what happens if Labour restrict a Landlord from increasing his rent, then interest rates go up. If the mortgage increases but the Landlord can't increase the rent how does he make up the short fall.

Just another short sighted policy from Labour aimed at getting support from their core vote who might not always think or care about long term consequences.

labour arent restricting a landlord from increasing rents. Rent increases will be capped at a more favourable level to protect renters.

Are you trying to suggest that bad weather increases the demand for milk?

It doesn't, it just alters the buying pattern for it.

When supply falls for some reason prices go up. I didn't use milk in my example, I used steak, but as another example look at the price of bread and what happens after a bad wheat harvest.

You're letting yourself be sidetracked by a silly discussion about market forces. But you know that anyway.

Ok, I was comparing council housing rents to its free market counterpart. They should never have been sold off in the first place.

Probably true, but I don't think you can fix that by interfering in the market price of rent today.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 15:00 ----------

labour arent restricting a landlord from increasing rents. Rent increases will be capped at a more favourable level to protect renters.

An oxymoron. A cap is a restriction.

You should be able to absorb that eventuality. That's part of the risk of being in business... which is what it is. The rent that is charged for a property should not be affected by how good or bad a mortgage deal the Landlord has. The end point of that discussion would be that Landlords on some kind of BoE Tracker mortgage would be increasing their rents while Landlords on a fixed rate would not (or they would, but it would be more profit at that time, whereas they'd received less profit previously)... obviously that doesn't work as a concept.

Yes you found the number of people in receipt of HB and it did in fact confirm that approximately 1/5th of all households are in receipt of HB.

No, I didn't say anything about households, I asked you for your source.

Probably true, but I don't think you can fix that by interfering in the market price of rent today.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 15:00 ----------

An oxymoron. A cap is a restriction.

Labour arent restricting a landlord from increasing rents. Rents can still increase but the increase is capped.

Well, let's be clear... a potential future Labour Government has announced plans of this nature... along with a few other things, like energy price caps / drops what-have-you.

If they're not in Government then it's all pretty academic.