Rent controls - good or bad?

Do you have any evidence to support this claim that 50% of people suffered immediate financial harm after the crash.

I didn't claim that they did.

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 07:18 ----------

I said this

Amazing - half a dozen people saying that a house price crash would not harm the economy.

Despite the evidence of 2007, precipitated by the mortgage market and resulting in a house price crash, taking us into the worst double dip recession in memory.

And you replied with "I'm alright Jack"

Did it have negative consequences for the majority, personally I didn't notice any difference between the before and after everything stayed the same.

As if your question/statement somehow has bearing on what I said.

Although an interesting debate, it now seems a bit moot, I don't think the Conservative Party has any strong beliefs in going for rent controls, one Conservative Minister saying at some time:

""As Swedish economist, Professor Assar Lindbeck, famously remarked: "rent control appears to be the most efficient technique presently known to destroy a city – except for bombing"

The whole thread is now really moot, anyway.

The Conservative Party appear to have no plans to reform the private rental sector... so I'm working on my spreadsheet to look at a few upcoming rent rises.

The best thing being, in absolute terms you can retain the same increase per year - whether it be £20 or £50 - but the percentage always appears to be going down - so it's a "good news" story (from a certain point of view). What was a 5.56% increase last year is now only a 5.26% increase - so moving in the right direction, for Tenants, in these tough times!

I suspect Landlords who might have been holding back, waiting on the election result, with plans to purchase some more property might now go ahead.

The whole thread is now really moot, anyway.

The Conservative Party appear to have no plans to reform the private rental sector... so I'm working on my spreadsheet to look at a few upcoming rent rises.

The best thing being, in absolute terms you can retain the same increase per year - whether it be £20 or £50 - but the percentage always appears to be going down - so it's a "good news" story (from a certain point of view). What was a 5.56% increase last year is now only a 5.26% increase - so moving in the right direction, for Tenants, in these tough times!

I suspect Landlords who might have been holding back, waiting on the election result, with plans to purchase some more property might now go ahead.

You are quite right - I have now just started to take action to convert a property and put 3 flats in it that were not there before. Had the Labourists won - I would probably not had done it - depending on what they had done. I am a very small player in the market - so some of the serious boys out there will be doing it on a much larger scale. Along with many others like me.

Good news all round indeed.

Well done Britain for voting well and getting this country moving.

You are quite right - I have now just started to take action to convert a property and put 3 flats in it that were not there before. Had the Labourists won - I would probably not had done it - depending on what they had done. I am a very small player in the market - so some of the serious boys out there will be doing it on a much larger scale. Along with many others like me.

Good news all round indeed.

Well done Britain for voting well and getting this country moving.

Moving into government subsidised, rachmanite, private rented slums created by the subdivision and overcrowding of traditional family housing.

One bedroom per family. Lack of private toilet and kitchen facilities, lack of garden, lack of light, lack of space and so on.

Some perverse form of housing driven dysgenics.

Parasitic landlord scum have already brought back rickets. What next?

Thankfully though, disease knows not of class boundaries, and although the poor are having disease forced upon them by poor housing, the disease created is quite capable of 'jumping class' and striking down idle rentiers and others getting rich off of the untold misery forced upon the poor during the current housing apartheid/neo-feudalist nightmare.

I wouldn't want to be a landlord come the revolution, which is now inevitable, although still a while off.

I wouldn't want to be a landlord come the revolution, which is now inevitable, although still a while off.

At some point in the future you're going to realise the revolution is never coming. Do you have a plan B? You should really start thinking about a plan b.

One bedroom per family. Lack of private toilet and kitchen facilities, lack of garden, lack of light, lack of space and so on.

You know, that really isn't anywhere remotely close to the description of any of the properties I let, nor any of the properties that I see for let. One property I let, admittedly, does not have a garden... but it's also quite far from the ground.

Your comments, often insightful as they are, might be taken more seriously if the desire to lump all Landlords into the same pot was resisted... just now and again.

We might say "some" properties are like that... and "some" Landlords behave like described. It's just that I've never seen any of this. Do I go looking for it? No, I'm not on a crusade.

Moving into government subsidised, rachmanite, private rented slums created by the subdivision and overcrowding of traditional family housing.

Some perverse form of housing driven dysgenics.

Parasitic landlord scum have already brought back rickets. What next?

Thankfully though, disease knows not of class boundaries, and although the poor are having disease forced upon them by poor housing, the disease created is quite capable of 'jumping class' and striking down idle rentiers and others getting rich off of the untold misery forced upon the poor during the current housing apartheid/neo-feudalist nightmare.

Where tf do you get this rubbish from. I'm building three two bedroom flats that weren't there before. There will be toilets and bathrooms and I shall build them to a good standard. People will want to rent them. The people I will rent to would not have built them themselves. It is a win win situation.

D'oh. I've fallen for it haven't I? You're trolling aren't you?

D'oh. I've fallen for it haven't I? You're trolling aren't you?

He believes this nonsense. Imagine if he saw your new rentals once they were finished, he probably wouldn't have much to say then.

There will be toilets and bathrooms...

For the avoidance of doubt, could you please confirm "toilets" plural? Not 1 toilet for all 3 2-bedroom apartments, right? Nothing like the nightmare described by chem1st? I think I know what you meant... just for the avoidance of doubt, you understand?