Rent controls - good or bad?

I agree, there was a time when most people had no choice but to rent from the wealthy. The advent of home ownership changed this and gave people a stake in their local area, we appear to be moving back to the old way of doing it, with an increasing number of people being forced to rent from the wealthy.

We have to decide if this is a free market; monopolies and cartels need regulation, tz mention energy, they have a regulator. The question is can the Government fiddle with rental prices with success?

There is a shortage of houses, tax breaks have also been mentioned, give tax breaks only to those with better/longer housing contracts. Labour may get it right in the end.

Edited by El Cid

I fully understand why they want to buy cheap properties and rent them out, but that doesn't change the fact that they are using their wealth to acquire property and that action prevents the younger generation from acquiring wealth through home ownership.

Which means they own two dwellings more than the people that are forced to rent from them.

One possible consolation - maybe it won't be too long before Cameron announces that tenants of private landlords could also have the RTB with a discount similar to HA tenants. :)

One possible consolation - maybe it won't be too long before Cameron announces that tenants of private landlords could also have the RTB with a discount similar to HA tenants. :)

You have forgotten one thing, private landlords are often millionaires ;)

Anything that silly would cause a total collapse of both the rental market and then the housing market as everyone rushes to get rid of their property, which floods the market in the process.

Good if you're a buyer, pretty crap if you have already bought and the value of your house plummets pushing you into negative equity.

I don`t think you understand why people rent, they rent because they can`t afford to buy (generally because they have a poor credit rating and/or they can`t afford the deposit) but also because they may not actually want to buy, particularly if they have to be flexible about where they live. Which, incidentally, makes the Labour idea of minimum 3 year tenancies even more stupid.

At the end of the day you can`t buck the market. I`m no fan of Thatcher but she was absolutely right with that one.

I reiterate my advice to anyone thinking of going into "buy to let", unless you`re a laid back kind of person who doesn`t get upset at some awful tenant purposefully screwing you (and yes, in my experience they do it on purpose, it isn`t generally a tenant who just falls on hard times) don`t bother with it. If you want to invest in property just buy a more expensive house for yourself.

They can't afford to buy because prices have been forced out of their reach by property investors, if houses was seen as homes instead of investments prices wouldn't be out of the reach of many tenants, and if someone can't afford to buy they surely can't afford to rent.

Anything that silly would cause a total collapse of both the rental market and then the housing market as everyone rushes to get rid of their property, which floods the market in the process.

Good if you're a buyer, pretty crap if you have already bought and the value of your house plummets pushing you into negative equity.

It's no silly than Cameron's policy to allow RTB if you are a HA tenant. Those landlords are not only private companies but the majority are also charities. He can't force them to allow RTB. :loopy:

Why would that be a problem, I live in my house so it doesn't matter if its worth £1000 or a £100,000. Falling house prices would help more people become home owners and wouldn't adversely affect those people that already own an home. It would only adversely affect multiple home owners so would be good for wealth redistribution and it would save billions in housing benefits.

That's greed for you. There are more people in need of a home then there are landlords who will get shot of their property. Property prices always level out as history shows.

They can't afford to buy because prices have been forced out of their reach by property investors, if houses was seen as homes instead of investments prices wouldn't be out of the reach of many tenants, and if someone can't afford to buy they surely can't afford to rent.

Dont think this is true people can afford to rent but cant get the £15.000 deposit . :suspect:

Not every landlord is a property investor some inherit houses and let them for the time when there

children grow up.

Edited by spider1