Excessive sun glare

I had my car windscreen replaced last year due to a crack. Ill health kept me off the road a lot last year so i didnt drive the car much then the cold dull weather came along. Now its sunny again im finding it difficult bordering on dangerous to drive because im now getting terrible reflections of the dash on the screen. This make it near impossible to identify make and model of a car just 30 or so feet in front so ive decided to take the car off the road today and contact autoglass. My question is has anyone else had this happen or am i just lucky?

The guy didn't use flash dash or anything else to polish up the dashboard after he finished??

Usually the dash is a matt plastic type, to reduce reflections and stop the kinda problem the op is having.

If something has been put on the dash to clean or shine it up then maybe that is the issue??

Seriously .................. have an eye test. The 'sensitivity' you describe could be symptomatic.

Another thought ...... it should be better with sunglasses on. Try that as it would indicate the problem is either your eyes or the glass.

The guy didn't use flash dash or anything else to polish up the dashboard after he finished??

Usually the dash is a matt plastic type, to reduce reflections and stop the kinda problem the op is having.

If something has been put on the dash to clean or shine it up then maybe that is the issue??

I dont use flashdash or anything like that. I clean the dash with a microfibre cloth (dry) as ive used the flashdash products in the past and not really liked the results. Yeah it looks ok but it feels sticky so i dont use it.

Ive been in touch with Autoglass (that was an experience worthy of its own thread) and they are coming round tomorrow to inspect it. The chap i spoke to coincidentally has the same make and model of car that i do (mines higher spec though lol ) and so when i told him he immediately agreed that it dosent sound right and it needs to be looked at. They are bringing another screen with them just in case it needs it so fingers crossed they will agree with me and say its a duff screen.

I hope they agree its not good and replace it. Its a proper ball ache not being able to drive when its sunny :(

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 10:34 ----------

Seriously .................. have an eye test. The 'sensitivity' you describe could be symptomatic.

Another thought ...... it should be better with sunglasses on. Try that as it would indicate the problem is either your eyes or the glass.

I have driving sunglasses in the car and always use them when its sunny.

Althouh im pretty certain my eyesight is good ive not been tested for about 3 years so i could give that a try. Im not sure its my eyesight though because front seat passengers notice it too.

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 10:40 ----------

Perhaps your original glass had a UV coating which dulled the rays? It should have been replaced like for like but that is my first thought.

I joined a model specific forum to ask this question and yes, you are right. It should have quite a smoky almost green hue to it. Mine isnt like this at all. Its just like glass lol.

Nice and clean like, just impossible to see through when its sunny :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot all about this thread.. Just to inform, Autoglass came out, looked the windscreen over and agreed it wasnt right. It was too clear and the angle was ever so slightly off. He also used the wrong type of rubber seal on the top of the screen which apparently made things worse,

It was replaced under warranty and now all is well with my world again :)