Blind spots - an appeal

Afternoon all, just a small plea to drivers please to check your mirrors & blind spots before turning.

On Friday I was knocked off my bike on Derek Dooley Way by a driver who didn't check before turning and ploughed into me - I was lucky that it was only the bike that was written off and I suffered no more than a gash to the arm and hip.

There was no malicious intent and he seemed genuinely sorry, but the outcome could have been much worse. Unfortunately for him he'll either get a caution driving without due care & attention or go to magistrates court. All could be avoided by checking first.

Thank you for reading.

Afternoon all, just a small plea to drivers please to check your mirrors & blind spots before turning.

On Friday I was knocked off my bike on Derek Dooley Way by a driver who didn't check before turning and ploughed into me - I was lucky that it was only the bike that was written off and I suffered no more than a gash to the arm and hip.

There was no malicious intent and he seemed genuinely sorry, but the outcome could have been much worse. Unfortunately for him he'll either get a caution driving without due care & attention or go to magistrates court. All could be avoided by checking first.

Thank you for reading.

From cycling and motorcycling I have become so used to doing the "lifesaver" over the shoulder glance that I do it when driving a car also.

I was on the cycle lane pikU. The car was travelling level with me as the traffic was moving slowly.

I do it all the time now when driving Easter, when I started cycling I realised how easy it was to miss someone there.

Thank you for reading.

Why are you pressing charges then? Or do you not get a say in the matter?

Very sorry doesn't do much good when the cyclist is dead, which so easily happens.

SMIDSY, oh, you're dead.

Well obviously the cyclist in this case isnt dead, so some common sense in the syetem wouldnt go amiss.

Cyclist gets an apology and a new bike paid for, the motorist goes on an awareness course. Dont really see the need for anything other than that.