Blind spots - an appeal

I don't mind cyclists at all, but they are by no means perfect themselves!

I was once parked up at the traffic lights near the Leppings Lane tram stop on Middlewood road, I'd been stationary for a good few minutes waiting for the green light when as cyclist went crashing into the back of my car. I got out to see if he was alright and after checking him out, checking his bike out and checking my car out he said he was fine, I asked him what he was trying to do and he said he thought he could fit through the gap between my car and the curb!

I just looked at him in amazement because even I knew (and I'm not a cyclist) that there was no way he could have gotten through!

We did chuckle though, and I even offered him a lift but he said he was OK and got back on his bike :)

I am sick to death of the cyclists I encounter every Sunday out Derbyshire.The majority of these are drivers because I see them taking their bikes on the top of their cars,parking up,usually around Hope,then setting off and causing chaos.Most of them seem to have cameras mounted on the bike or on their helmets thus hoping to catch a motorist who makes a mistake.Even if a motorist had a camera the cyclist is untraceable therefore they do just what they want.It really is time cyclists had to display some type of identification plate so they can be identified and prosecuted.Every Sunday I see them in groups wobbling all over the place,turning without giving any signals,overtaking on the inside,and last Sunday there was sixteen of them riding two abreast and eight deep,the mind boggles at their stupid antics.There is also disorganized road races with no police presence and men in little yellow coats attempting to stop traffic in order to let the cyclists through.They have no legal right to do this.I am amazed these cyclists actually survive the day,it is only because of the skill of the car drivers.

I struggled to pick any facts out of your rant, but are you claiming that cycles are undertaking cars? Do you mean queueing traffic or moving traffic?

Other than that, you seem to be complaining about entirely legal use of the road by cyclists as if they were somehow doing something wrong.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 16:42 ----------

Your post history betrays you mr Troll. With that in mind me and you are done. You wont bait me or troll me, ill leave you to do that to some of the less bright posters :)

You still don't know what trolling is I guess. And you're giving up, since it's quite clear that you're just attacking me because you don't like my opinion.

Drive on then.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 16:46 ----------

So having a knowledge of the Highway Code, through Googling, is somehow inadequate in comparison with someone who doesn't have knowledge of the highway code.

Now where is it that i said that or did you make it up.

You said "The key phrase is they 'seem to have rather better knowledge'.

Google... It tells them pretty much all they need to know about any subject"

So, once they've googled it (as if it was somehow difficult to remember), do you imagine that they don't know it? Do they immediately forget afterwards? Or does the source of the knowledge somehow discredit it?

The fact is that they DO have better knowledge of it, almost certainly before they google the proof. Rather disappointing for the motorist who is ranting I'm sure.

My near miss occurred when I was approaching a main road T junction from a side road.
My near miss yesterday was there, coming from the Tesco CP sideroad (Bone Mill lane) to the T-junction with the B6041, with bad visibility to my left due to the house corner and a car parked right by the corner (car rear level with the side road I was on :rant:).

I was rolling slowly (sub-5mph) and coming to a controlled stop at the junction (from where white Kangoo is to where green 406 is), couldn't see any pedestrian nearby right or left.

Some guy on a MTB (scrubber like, hoodie, no helmet) suddenly came flying past riding on the pavement, travelling from my left, straight across the T-junction (with the dotted markings delimiting the B6041 to his left) to the opposite pavement. And I mean flying, glimpse-and-you'll-miss-him -fast. I'd say I had the car nose level with the rear doors of the 406 when that happened, rolling at 2-ish mph if that.

He's lucky I've got fast reflexes, I could just as easily have knocked him over onto the main road :mad:

Edited by L00b

It was a left turn into the path of my son that caused his cycling accident. It really isn't rocket science to ask that drivers CHECK THEIR WINGMIRROR before turning.

I'm glad you weren't too badly injured but I can imagine how shaken up you must be. I hope you're ok :)

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 18:16 ----------

My recent collision was here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.408922,-1.506345,3a,75y,138.77h,67.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFrOa-m249fVqz-zvaF7HzA!2e0

A golden retriever ran out from Lennox Rd straight in front of me as I was moving at about 10 - 15 mph. I braked but couldn't avoid hitting it. Fortunately neither of us was hurt.

Glad you are both ok :)

It's amazing how a measured OP that asks drivers to re-consider their blind spot checks before committing to a road position or lane change kicks off the usual angry exchange of polarised views.

I would echo the OP's plea since my working experience is that the bulk of drivers don't fully check into their blind spot(s) and see nothing wrong with looking only into a single mirror since, most of the time, no harm is done.

Afternoon all, just a small plea to drivers please to check your mirrors & blind spots before turning.

On Friday I was knocked off my bike on Derek Dooley Way by a driver who didn't check before turning and ploughed into me - I was lucky that it was only the bike that was written off and I suffered no more than a gash to the arm and hip.

There was no malicious intent and he seemed genuinely sorry, but the outcome could have been much worse. Unfortunately for him he'll either get a caution driving without due care & attention or go to magistrates court. All could be avoided by checking first.

Thank you for reading.

Firstly I'm clearly glad you're OK; I never normally get drawn into one of these cycling threads on the Forum, and I'm certainly not a cyclist basher, literally or metaphorically, you'll be pleased to hear. :)

I'm not suggesting for a minute that you were at fault in this instance, as I wasn't witness to your unfortunate incident, but your comment about checking blind spots does concern me a bit.

By the nature of the name, they are a blind spot, so it may well not be possible to check to see if there is anyone there, however hard the driver tries.

Yes check mirrors obviously, be aware of what you've just overtaken, and also look over one's shoulder if it's appropriate to do so. I actually got gently reprimanded by the examiner after passing my car test as she thought that I was looking over my shoulder too much. I'd had a motorcycle licence for years, but only just passed my car test a few minutes previously. Fortunately the examiner was also a biker, so she understood the concept of a lifesaver glance.

I'm sure the reader will know what I'm getting at, regarding thinking about what you've just passed, but if it's not obvious, please consider this example;

I've just passed a cyclist, perfectly properly without endangering anyone, but I can't see them any more. Have they turned off or are they now sitting in my blind spot?

This utube clip shows just how big a blind spot can be for an artic.

The next clip is a pretty good illustration of the point

I'm not posting these clips to foment yet another cycle bashing thread on here; filtering between traffic, on either side, is perfectly reasonable and legal, for both cyclists and motorcyclists, but please think about how you go about it. Give both yourself and the other road users a chance of coming off unscathed, that includes pedestrians in a world of their own crossing stationary queues of traffic.

I regularly see cyclists, motorcyclists, and small car drivers position themselves in the blind spots of various commercial vehicles; it's really not a good idea.

Until recently I used to drive a Fiat Dolblo for my employer. This had a nearside blind spot big enough to lose a small car in, let alone a bike or motorcycle.

N.B. Even small vans sometimes have large blind spots.

Personally, whilst it's difficult sometimes to predict if a driver has seen you, I always try to give them a sporting chance by making sure I can see their face in their rear view mirror.

I mention the above in the hope that it makes even one driver more careful of their road positioning, and saves somebody getting squashed.

For your interest I'm commenting as the driver of a variety of vehicles, Cycle, Motorcycle (both Sports and Trail), Small Commercial (i.e. van with no rear windows), kit car, and a couple of 4x4s.

Please think defensively whatever you're driving; that doesn't mean dawdling along either, it's perfectly possible to make good progress whilst being aware of what's going on around you.

Afternoon all, just a small plea to drivers please to check your mirrors & blind spots before turning.

On Friday I was knocked off my bike on Derek Dooley Way by a driver who didn't check before turning and ploughed into me - I was lucky that it was only the bike that was written off and I suffered no more than a gash to the arm and hip.

There was no malicious intent and he seemed genuinely sorry, but the outcome could have been much worse. Unfortunately for him he'll either get a caution driving without due care & attention or go to magistrates court. All could be avoided by checking first.

Thank you for reading.

Pleased to hear you're OK achorste (though think I'd moan a bit more than you do about gash to arm and hip)

It helps me to understand a cyclists behaviour to me when I read posts like this. A little while ago I was driving down Derek Dooley Way towards the slip road to Savile St. I'd seen a cyclist undertaking me on cycle path as i was in slow moving traffic, and indicated left to let drivers behind me know that I would shortly be turning left. Cyclist shouted and gave me a right mouthfull.

I can see why now, he thought I'd not seen him and anticipated sort of accident you had...or worse.

Edited by montie
idiocy

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.408922,-1.506345,3a,75y,138.77h,67.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFrOa-m249fVqz-zvaF7HzA!2e0

A golden retriever ran out from Lennox Rd straight in front of me as I was moving at about 10 - 15 mph. I braked but couldn't avoid hitting it. Fortunately neither of us was hurt.

But potentially you could've seriously injured that dog or worse - if you'd been going slower you could've been able to brake and avoid it, or even be more aware of potential hazards by the roadside.

Did you report hitting the dog to the police? = https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q434.htm