Blind spots - an appeal

No, the owner was right there shouting at it, it was uninjured and I was on a bike.

You quoted me saying "Fortunately neither of us was hurt".

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 07:21 ----------

But potentially you could've seriously injured that dog or worse - if you'd been going slower you could've been able to brake and avoid it, or even be more aware of potential hazards by the roadside.

More importantly, it could have injured me and the owner would have been liable. But you knew that already. ;)

I was on the cycle lane pikU. The car was travelling level with me as the traffic was moving slowly.

I do it all the time now when driving Easter, when I started cycling I realised how easy it was to miss someone there.

If you was in a cycle lane,how did you manage to get hit?

Was the motorist turning left when the accident occurred?

I find, as a car driver, that some cyclists tend to "undertake", which is a dangerous (illegal?) procedure.

Are cyclists considered to be correct in "undertaking" even if there is a cycle/bus lane on the left?

Ecclesall Road is a typical example of this, especially in the "rush hour".

I find, as a car driver, that some cyclists tend to "undertake", which is a dangerous (illegal?) procedure.

Are cyclists considered to be correct in "undertaking" even if there is a cycle/bus lane on the left?

I really do think that you may need to re-visit the highway code, as do many of us if it's a while since we passed our tests.

Regarding "Filtering" this is quite a good download and well worth a read for all road users; http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/downloads.asp?i=160

OK it's primarily aimed at motorcyclists, who clearly shouldn't be filtering down a cycle path if there is an unbroken white line delineating it, but the general principals apply.

Especially in the rush hour. Absolutely they can "undertake", but it is called filtering, even without a designated lane. However, with a designated lane, then it is just another lane. In slow moving rush hour traffic each lane moves at its own speed and so it is quite normal for vehicles in a bus/cycle lane to move more quickly than other lanes.

In the case of someone turning left across a cycle on their nearside, I wonder if they would do the same if it were a bus on their nearside?

Cyclists who undertake are morons and if they get hit its their own fault. If they lose their life again its their own stupid fault. Ive been undertook whilst making a turn by such an idiot. Ive also seen it happen plenty.

Im glad i now have cameras in my car as i know i drive safe and careful so if some cyclist ends up a statistic because of their own actions, i wont be blamed and i wont lose my licenses, no claims, liberty for someone else's actions.

Cyclists who undertake are morons and if they get hit its their own fault.

Im glad i now have cameras in my car as i know i drive safe and careful so if some cyclist ends up a statistic because of their own actions, i wont be blamed and i wont lose my licenses, no claims, liberty for someone else's actions.

If you drive your vehicle into a cyclist who is filtering on the left then you bear the responsibility for your failure to pay due care and attention. Your camera will provide the evidence to secure your conviction.

Others will explain in detail about why your attitude is so terribly dangerously wrong.