Club Basie at the Black Swan

Gwenda

Hi, feeling nostalgic for the jazz events of 50s, 60s and 70s

Found my membership card of club 13 held at the Brincliffe Oaks circa 1957

And future venues of Baz Whitworth's band, such as Black Swan (club Basie), Wisewood Tavern, and latest known one was at the Ringinglow

Wonder if there's anyone from those days who can tell me how Nev Reaney is

And understand Pete Jackson had a son. Would like to get in touch. Also

Jean Jackson (wonderful jiver)

And future venues of Baz Whitworth's band, such as Black Swan (club Basie), Wisewood Tavern, and latest known one was at the Ringinglow

Nice to see my old Burngreave school teacher Nev Reaney's name mentioned. I know he used to 'jam' at the Cannon Hall pub in Firvale and one on West Street (Mail Coach?) among other venues and he used to live, near me,in Ellesmere Road/ Ella Road section of Pitsmoor. I moved from Sheffield in 1986 so am a little out of touch

Hope this works. The photograph was taken in the upstairs room at the Black Swan circa 1957. Music by Alec Wyatt, Pete Jackson, Pat Crapper, Bas Whitworth and Nev Reaney.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/bilgear/File0002.jpg

I believe I messed up, or maybe not.

Recognise anyone?

Thank you so much Gerry what a blast from the past...recognise the girl at the back...one of two sisters that were there most Tuesdays. What a fabulous room that was, with an open fire in winter (wouldnt get past Health and Safety today!) met my husband Jack, there.1959

Just loved the music that the wonderful band played...Barry was such a brilliant trumpeter.

Im now living in Leeds and listening to some great jazz musicians in their 20s playing Miles

Davies, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins. All the greats plus their own excellent compositions. We are lucky to have the graduates of the Leeds College of Music Jazz courses.

Cheers Gerry

Thank you so much Gerry what a blast from the past...recognise the girl at the back...one of two sisters that were there most Tuesdays. What a fabulous room that was, with an open fire in winter (wouldnt get past Health and Safety today!) met my husband Jack, there.1959

Just loved the music that the wonderful band played...Barry was such a brilliant trumpeter.

Im now living in Leeds and listening to some great jazz musicians in their 20s playing Miles

Davies, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins. All the greats plus their own excellent compositions. We are lucky to have the graduates of the Leeds College of Music Jazz courses.

Cheers Gerry

Gwenda, if you click on the arrow next to Gerry's name it will take you to a thread about the 50s jazz scene in Sheffield.