Baltimore riots

Sweet Jesus. I dare anyone to make excuses for

behavior. There is NO reason for it. None.

Clearly, they are all tore up about Freddie Gray. Huh? Freddie who? He's just an excuse to commit mayhem while someone else pays to clean up the mess they made.

Maybe if more parents acted like this mom, we wouldn't have the problems we have.

I lived in downtown Baltimore for a while and what really struck me in comparison to any other US city I have visited is just how segregated a society it is. Downtown isn't like any other major city it's a hollowed out shell with a few shops, apartments and strip joints. All the wealth is on the outskirts of the city and you have to drive to anywhere affluent. In contrast the centre is full of very poor districts of row houses where gun crime is rife. There are video cameras with flashing blue lights on every corner.

You go to any cafe, restaurant or shop, get on a bus, check in at a hotel, guaranteed the people serving you are black. Go to any hospital, major business, or university, 95% of the faces are white. And the ones that aren't are Chinese or Korean. There is a poverty of opportunity in Baltimore for people in general and black people in particular. Rioting isn't the answer but neither is it a neo con elite who couldn't give a stuff about the state of smaller US cities within a stones throw of the capital.

Clearly, they are all tore up about Freddie Gray. Huh? Freddie who? He's just an excuse to commit mayhem while someone else pays to clean up the mess they made.

Maybe if more parents acted like this mom, we wouldn't have the problems we have.

Rioters never seem to channel their anger against the correct targets. In London a few years ago there were riots after a black man was shot by the police. Why the rioters decided to burn down a furniture store and rob shops of electrical goods and designer trainers is anyone's guess.

Similarly during the LA riots. A black man was beaten by white cops, so lets go and trash our own neighbourhoods and beat up any Korean shopkeepers we can find.

There are no excuses but didn't David Simon try to cover/explain why in The Wire series or The House I Live In - both good to see how problematic the issue is in Baltimore to address.

More than you do and I don't even live there. Funny that.

Didn't bother to comment on Bloody Sunday I see:

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 03:27 ----------

Yes, it's reported here - http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/3-unarmed-black-african-american-men-killed-police

---------- Post added 28-04-2015 at 21:33 ----------

So what? Does that somehow impinge on people's right to be angry when someone is killed by the police?

You have a strange attitude to what is acceptable in expressing anger

They're stupid plain and simple. From garnering sympathy they manage to alienate any feelings of sympathy and just depict themselves as hooligans and thieves who take the opportunity to grab freebie big screen TVs and booze.

I just cant figure them out. During Katrina they broke into gun stores and stole rifles and ammunition and when the police tried to bring in food and medical supplies to the few thousand sheltering in the Saints football stadium they opened fire on the choppers and drove them off

Their own worst enemies about sums it up

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 03:32 ----------

Yes it always seems that mom brings up the family. Absent or none existent fathers a typical scenario. Dysfunctional families produce dysfunctional kids

Edited by Harleyman

Didn't bother to comment on Bloody Sunday I see:

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 03:27 ----------

You have a strange attitude to what is acceptable in expressing anger

They're stupid plain and simple. From garnering sympathy they manage to alienate any feelings of sympathy and just depict themselves as hooligans and thieves who take the opportunity to grab freebie big screen TVs and booze.

I just cant figure them out. During Katrina they broke into gun stores and stole rifles and ammunition and when the police tried to bring in food and medical supplies to the few thousand sheltering in the Saints football stadium they opened fire on the choppers and drove them off

Their own worst enemies about sums it up

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 03:32 ----------

Yes it always seems that mom brings up the family. Absent or none existent fathers a typical scenario. Dysfunctional families produce dysfunctional kids

What on earth is the supposed relevance of the comment about Bloody Sunday?

That aside, it strikes me that you have very little knowledge or understanding of the experience of your black countrymen, which probably accounys for your complete inability to empathise with them.

Did you know, for example that The wealth gap between caucasian and African-American families nearly tripled from $85,000 in 1984 to $236,500 in 2009?

Of course you didn't - and since you trade in lazy racial stereotyping you'll probably tell me it's because blacks are stupid and feckless as you do in the comments above.

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 06:54 ----------

There clearly is a reason for that behaviour. People are very angry. It doesn't excuse what they're doing, but it does explain it.

Mr Gray was alive and well when he was arrested and suffered fatal injuries while in the care of the police. If he was someone you loved would you not be even a tiny bit irritated?

You think the way to prevent violence among adults is to use more violence towards children?

You couldn't make it up.

Edited by Halibut

That aside, it strikes me that you have very little knowledge or understanding of the experience of your black countrymen, which probably accounys for your complete inability to empathise with them.

Did you know, for example that The wealth gap between caucasian and African-American families nearly tripled from $85,000 in 1984 to $236,500 in 2009?

Of course you didn't - and since you trade in lazy racial stereotyping you'll probably tell me it's because blacks are stupid and feckless as you do in the comments above.

There clearly is a reason for that behaviour. People are very angry. It doesn't excuse what they're doing, but it does explain it.

Mr Gray was alive and well when he was arrested and suffered fatal injuries while in the care of the police. If he was someone you loved would you not be even a tiny bit irritated?

You think the way to prevent violence among adults is to use more violence towards children?

You couldn't make it up.

oh my!! apologist you couldn't make it up, really you think the young kids are rioting because a fellow black guy died?? no i reckon thats the excuse!! they and many other areas are waiting for, these are not protestors they are criminals just like the guy arrested and again we dont know the full story or history of how or why he died yet?

trotting out the old wealth gap again does not make it any more right!

You couldn't make it up.

The relevance of Bloody Sunday is that you were quick to bring up Kent State so I mentioned it just to indicate that such things can and do happen in the UK

If you condone or in some indirect way attempt to justify the actions of the rioters in Baltimore and the damage they've done to the community and themselves then I think you need a screwdriver

Edited by Harleyman

Baltimore is a majority black city, it's been run by black democrats for decades now. What exactly is not being done that needs to be done to improve things? The thing that needs to change is the attitude of many of the residents there, too many of whom would rather make quick money in the illegal drug trade than get an education and a career.