Conservatives promise law to curb tax rises

When I heard this I thought it was barking, the economy could well go tits up, what then?

Why not bring in a law that ALL election promises must be legally binding where possible. Its common sense, why make election promises if they will not honour them.

When I heard this I thought it was barking, the economy could well go tits up, what then?

Why not bring in a law that ALL election promises must be legally binding where possible. Its common sense, why make election promises if they will not honour them.

Entirely pointless and stupid.

Since the government can repeal law as easily as they can make it, it in no way binds them. And a key tenet of our democracy is that the actions of a parliament CANNOT bind a future parliament anyway.

Just laughed at that on the BBC website. People will not pay more tax because the banding is lower and lowering the tax brackets or shifting up the bottom end will not help reduce the deficit and national debt. It's nothing more than a full-on bribe for votes.

So if the tories get in for five years (as we now have fixed term parliaments) they will spend legislative time to pass a law to prevent THEM from increasing taxes.

What a pointless excersise. Why not simply not put taxes up in the budget. Does George Osbourne not trust himself that he needs to pass a law to protect him from himself.

Neither would the Tories. At the last election the Tories promised they wouldn't increase VAT. Then they increased it to 20%. :suspect:

They promised a bunch of stuff they didn't follow through with to be honest.

Thing is tho, when it's a coalition government does anyone have to honour a promise as they didn't get into power alone???

I worry that will be the excuse wheeled out if Labour and SNP get into bed.

"It's a coalition, so we don't have to honour anyting. lol mugs"