Why is warm food considered to be a luxury?

:confused:I sometimes see some businesses advertising or displaying that they serve 'warm food' or 'hot food'. When Clegg passed the free school meals, he put extra emphasis on the fact that they will get 'hot meal', as if the 'hot' part made it special. I also recently learned that cold food is not subject to the VAT, but warm food is. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that we divide warm and cold meals as if they are of different tiers, and the fact that we as a nation of incredible wealth treat warm meals as if they are something of greater value?

Edited by Radomu

:confused:I sometimes see some businesses advertising or displaying that they serve 'warm food' or 'hot food'. When Clegg passed the free school meals for disadvantaged school districts, he put extra emphasis on the fact that they will get 'hot meal', as if the 'hot' part made it special. I also recently learned that cold food is not subject to the VAT, but warm food is. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that we divide warm and cold meals as if they are of different tiers, and the fact that we as a nation of incredible wealth treat warm meals as if they are something of greater value?

Our whole approach to tax is ridiculous.

They couldn't make it more difficult if they tried, which is why they need an army of people to administer it, costing a fortune, and still certain sections of society are able to flout the law with impunity. It's also why we have this disconnect between avoiding and evading tax, and what is moral and what is legal. I'm sure people on here could quote many other stupid examples...

The whole system is a total mess.

:confused:I sometimes see some businesses advertising or displaying that they serve 'warm food' or 'hot food'. When Clegg passed the free school meals for disadvantaged school districts, he put extra emphasis on the fact that they will get 'hot meal', as if the 'hot' part made it special. I also recently learned that cold food is not subject to the VAT, but warm food is. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

I couldn't think of anything worse than an hot salad. :gag:

When Clegg passed the free school meals for disadvantaged school districts, he put extra emphasis on the fact that they will get 'hot meal'.

I also recently learned that cold food is not subject to the VAT, but warm food is. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that we divide warm and cold meals as if they are of different tiers.

Clegg and the Liberal Democrats have made sure that from September 2014 every child in infant school in England will get free school meals, saving families around £437 a year per child, not just the poor. Ending, in a small way, a poverty trap of just benefits for the poor.

I think layered taxes are good, basic items should be tax free.

Wasn't that law changed abandoned in the end??

It was the pasty tax right??

I think so. Certainly in Greggs you are asked if you eat in or out for VAT charging. This does then make me wonder how the likes of McDonalds do it as they charge the same for both eat in or take away. I doubt they are underpaying their VAT so are we over paying VAT through them?