City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Just had an e mail from Uber for free ice cream tomorrow!!

Free delivery to your home or office.... Great promotion idea!

I got that email but mine doesn't mention "free". Does yours? I assumed it would ask for money at the point of booking.

It's an entertaining gimmick but if you have an Uber taxi nearby then probably you also have a local shop....

It's about time City has some proper competition. They let us down, again, despite pre-booking. The booking was made early so that we'd be guaranteed (or so we thought) the taxi at the right time. For the last 3 years or so they have NEVER turned up on time, either in the day or in an evening. They make it worse by not letting you know, truthfully, how long it will be if at all!

Bring on Uber, please.

The protests and bans in Europe and elsewhere have been regarding UberPop.

UberPop is the carsharing model which facilitates anyone (unlicensed) to use their car to charge for behaving like a taxi.

This is, quite simply, illegal in this country.

In the UK, Uber is registering with Local Authorities and using licensed drivers, only.

In the UK, they operate as any other licensed taxi company.

Please don't let good, simple facts get in the way of peoples unreasonable, uneducated and made up arguments- you know UBER is the devil don't you!

I got that email but mine doesn't mention "free". Does yours? I assumed it would ask for money at the point of booking.

It's an entertaining gimmick but if you have an Uber taxi nearby then probably you also have a local shop....

Just had 2 very pretty young ladies turn up in a cab and set up a mini ice cream stand in our trade counter. Got 3 free cornettos, t shirts and sunglasses.

Maybe a gimmick but brightened up my afternoon and all for free!!

2.8x fare tonight.

Bargain.

Granted in busiest areas tonight you might have waited up to 50 mins between 2330 and 0100 with City, but no more expensive.

You might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

2.8x fare tonight.

Bargain.

Granted in busiest areas tonight you might have waited up to 50 mins between 2330 and 0100 with City, but no more expensive.

You might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

30 quid for a five mile journey? No one would pay that.