City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

I've converted to using uber and so far I am impressed. It's great knowing the price before you get in and so far, even at busy times I've paid a lot less than I would with city. If there is a 'surge' you at least know before hand and have the option of seeing if another method of transport is better.

Several drivers I've had said they'd left city and despite the fares being lower their income was better because the percentage taken by uber is much fairer. One did complain the lack of change meant no more sneaky snacks and his wife knowing exactly what he earned!

I also like being able to track the taxi, see exactly who the driver/car is and have the additional safety feature option of sending all that that info to somebody else.

I've converted to using uber and so far I am impressed. It's great knowing the price before you get in and so far, even at busy times I've paid a lot less than I would with city. If there is a 'surge' you at least know before hand and have the option of seeing if another method of transport is better.

Several drivers I've had said they'd left city and despite the fares being lower their income was better because the percentage taken by uber is much fairer. One did complain the lack of change meant no more sneaky snacks and his wife knowing exactly what he earned!

I also like being able to track the taxi, see exactly who the driver/car is and have the additional safety feature option of sending all that that info to somebody else.

You can track your City car on the App, and it gives your the reg and car.

Driver told me City paid 2 million for mercury as direct response to coming of Uber. Said that Mercury/City were still rubbish to work for though. There was a recorded message with the answering of Mercury phone calls a while back pointing out they were joining up.

Why doesn't he go on Uber then, if it's so good?

^ true it does (although I thought it was just the end part of the reg?) but not the additional safety of a picture of the driver and the option to share the progress of your ride both before and during the journey.

I've also found when I've used the city app, it tells me a taxi is 5 mins away, only for me then to recieve a phone call telling me that's incorrect and there's nobody available to pick me up.

^ true it does (although I thought it was just the end part of the reg?) but not the additional safety of a picture of the driver and the option to share the progress of your ride both before and during the journey.

I've also found when I've used the city app, it tells me a taxi is 5 mins away, only for me then to recieve a phone call telling me that's incorrect and there's nobody available to pick me up.

It shows the whole reg, and the vehicle type and colour. You will be able to rate the driver soon I think. The driver should be wearing a badge, and the council give us another larger copy of the badge that should be displayed in the car. I would like to be able to rate the customer too, so when I get a dodgy looking job, if there are previous ratings that are positive, I will feel safer.

The 5 mins thing is manually done and sometimes isn't done quick enough, they know about this though. It's pretty vague, but with Uber you can't queue at all, so that equals out that I think.

He didn't say Uber was good. he said City was rubbish to work for.

Fair enough. There are other options though.

• 1 month later...

Love the idea of Uber and like using it, well I would if there were ever any cars available. The last 10 or so times I've tried to make a booking there are no cars around. Have they lost staff? I've tried from home which is near Banner Cross, and city-centre too...

Its the same with the new UberEXEC service too.

Personally, I have big suspicions about the whole thing, so much so that I have put a empty account as my card details.

Signed up following repeated marketing emails and big fanfare, never once in multiple occasions has there ever been a car available even in major locations at all times of day.

Tried to go and close my account and find there is nothing regarding cancelling or removing. No ability to remove ALL card details (makes you keep one on record), no option to close or delete an account, no way of contacting them other than twitter or email.

Sorry Uber, but not impressed. Gone back to city to deal with human beings again.