City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

is this taxi service only accessible by mobile phone and credit card as there are people who do not have mobile phones and do not use credit cards, if this is so it is not available for everyone especially older people

I doubt Uber are worried about the grannies who are scared of technology.

Is this a serious question?

Partially, I didn't realise you could still get the recycled tree edition #retro

The City app asks you to rate their service when you have finished your journey. You can even leave comments

And most likely what happens is that information gets emailed to someone and is largely ignored.

The problem the existing companies systems have is that they are unintelligent and disconnected. I pre-booked Mercury online once to go to the airport, and when they didn't turn up and I rang them the reason was because the booking just get's emailed to someone and they hadn't actually arranged a driver because of reasons I just shouldn't have had to care about. So the system still relied on manual operation at their end. What's the point?

Uber works so much better because it creates an inter-connected network of drivers and passengers using the same intelligent systems to match them up. The ratings actually mean something because everyone has their own profile, so feedback is traceable and meaningful.

No doubt City could copy the Uber system (and others have, Lyft for example), but they are already way behind so it will take either a lot of time or a lot of money, or probably both, to get to the same level of polish and reliability Uber has after operating worldwide for a number of years.

Plus it requires a change in mindset, Uber largely comes at the problem from the top down, of providing the convenience and level of service of a personal or executive driver for a price affordable to the mass market. As opposed to viewing taxis as a step up from the bus and not really considering quality of ride or service as a selling point.

Edited by FuriousGeorg

I doubt Uber are worried about the grannies who are scared of technology.

I think you're missing the point.

Not everyone wants to rely on their mobile for every aspect of their lives.

Some people, like me, get poor reception and limited mb data.

I prefer to just phone up and book one. I've not encountered any problems before.

I think you're missing the point.

Not everyone wants to rely on their mobile for every aspect of their lives.

Some people, like me, get poor reception and limited mb data.

I prefer to just phone up and book one. I've not encountered any problems before.

That's fair enough, you can continue to ring companies other than Uber and pay over the odds, your call. More taxis for us non - technophobes ;)

That's fair enough, you can continue to ring companies other than Uber and pay over the odds, your call. More taxis for us non - technophobes ;)

They do no consider people who are unable to use a mobile phone through health reasons like shaky hands and poor eye sight but I guess that is the world we live in today as long as I am alright it does not matter about anyone else

They do no consider people who are unable to use a mobile phone through health reasons like shaky hands and poor eye sight but I guess that is the world we live in today as long as I am alright it does not matter about anyone else

And those people can continue to order taxis the way they have been doing, through a traditional taxi firm.

Have you actually saved money? Just because an operator claims you will doesn't mean you do!

So many people jump on the technology bandwagon. It amazes me how gullible people are.

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 20:24 ----------

Hear hear!

Have you actually saved money? Just because an operator claims you will doesn't mean you do!

So many people jump on the technology bandwagon. It amazes me how gullible people are.

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 20:24 ----------

Hear hear!

Im with you. I am a regular taxi user for work and having looked up what all this UBER fuss is about im really not at impressed.

I don't want my card details registered on yet another online service.

I don't want to mess around with some fiddly app every time I need to book a taxi.

I don't want my personal details registered on another database.

I don't need a tracking location service of the specific location of my taxi

I don't need a totally unnecessary "ratings" systems for both driver and me as a passenger which inexplicably UBER has

I don't want to have to suffer the inevitable lack of availability of vehicles or drivers because UBER is still a new service

Given that many taxis already have facility to pay by card, its all just too many gimmicks for me.

Im with you. I am a regular taxi user for work and having looked up what all this UBER fuss is about im really not at impressed.

I don't want my card details registered on yet another online service.

I don't want to mess around with some fiddly app every time I need to book a taxi.

I don't want my personal details registered on another database.

I don't need a tracking location service of the specific location of my taxi

I don't need a totally unnecessary "ratings" systems for both driver and me as a passenger which inexplicably UBER has

I don't want to have to suffer the inevitable lack of availability of vehicles or drivers because UBER is still a new service

Given that many taxis already have facility to pay by card, its all just too many gimmicks for me.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I don't want technology to 'enhance' my life. I like to do things myself.

Like you, I don't want to be on ever increasing databases, rely on ever more electronic payment systems, be reachable on a mobile phone at all waking hours of my life and have others expect me to be happy to join in!

Yes, which is why at City you can use the Phone Apps, or actually speak to people, and also prebook taxis.

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 21:09 ----------

Some best mate you are :roll:

I am that indeed !

As I say who wants to listen to the bu::::it you drivers talk and stink too !!! Come on robots