City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Probably this company

"Uber" shall mean Uber London Limited, a private limited liability company incorporated and registered in England and Wales with company number 8014782 whose registered office is at 1st Floor Focus Point, 21 Caledonian Road, London, United Kingdom, N1 9GB; and Uber Britannia Limited, a private limited liability company incorporated and registered in England and Wales with company number 8823469 whose registered office is at Office 1123 Old Granada Studios, 2 Atherton Street, Manchester, United Kingdom, M3 3GS.

From https://www.uber.com/legal/gbr/terms

No, I can't see one with a quick google search. Their entire business model is to be as hands off as possible and to automate things, so having a call centre would be a huge step backwards.

I did see this though

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3040438/Are-Uber-accounts-hacked-Anthea-Turner-latest-victim.html

But the Uber support Twitter account is awash with users complaining that they have had cash taken from their accounts for journeys that they did not book or make. Some users have reportedly had hundreds or even thousands of pounds taken from their accounts.

Uber still denies that it has been breached - but has promised to reimburse all customers who have been charged for journeys that they did not book or take.

I think there are a few drivers who have switched to Uber who are perhaps not particularly tech-savvy and don't really get the system, just as there are customers in the same situation. Over time they will drop out of rotation due to poor ratings or just switch back to City.

I installed Uber over the weekend on my iPhone and I plan to use it later this week. From what I can tell its a 1000x better than using Mercury or other taxi companies already as I have not had to call and speak to someone to order a taxi that will come in half an hour.

ETA 4 mins from my location and all for less than the cost of a black cab.

Uber will really spike in use come winter when you will no longer need to freeze your goolies off standing in the street trying desperately to flag down a cab.

I'll bite :hihi:

And I'll tell you exactly why we switched to UBER from City as well.

Uber drivers (had 14 fares and counting so far) have ALL been extremely delightful,

I'm surprised you've managed to find a vehicle available. What do you do if there isn't one?

Every time I've looked on the App there's only once ever been a car available, and that was a single one (out of range anyway).

actually care about the company and their passengers.. one off the top of my head, got out of the car, opened the door for me and my better half, warmly welcomed us with handshakes and chocolates and then drove in a relaxed style directly to our destination where again, we were met with an opened car door, hand shakes and a courteous goodbye...

Who wants handshakes with drivers? I don't want to be shaking customers hands, I don't know where they've been! :hihi:

Chocolates? :roll::hihi: Wait until you sit in one where someone has left chocolate crumbs in the seat. Food/drink and taxis don't mix.

UBER has in my opinion, started to kill them off already and tops.. City have around a year or two maximum before UBER rule the roost (depending on how many new drivers are brought in)

How so?

And lastly... the only reasons why CITY drivers aren't flocking to UBER in droves is that a) they will fail the ratings test because of their crap driving, b) they are happy to overcharge customers and finally c) they are doing something 'a bit naughty' in regards to divulging their incomes

You sound like someone who uses Twitter :rolleyes: The next post answers your point though.

So if drivers aren't moving to Uber from other companies like City, where are they coming from?

Precisely.

If other companies don't take on drivers, then Uber will just be all the new drivers that the council sets on. Good experienced ones :roll:

Other cab companies around the Sheffield area :P

Are there any others? I was under the impression that City was now the only major operator. I suppose there will be some independents, but there's no other big company to move from.

And that's what it's about - giving a good impression of the service. He got 5* naturally.

Exactly, it's all about customer service. If I wanted a driver who barely acknowledged me and moaned about dirty customers getting his seats dirty, then i'd use City!

Are there any others? I was under the impression that City was now the only major operator. I suppose there will be some independents, but there's no other big company to move from.

Network Cars is one off the top of my head, as is Excel.

Every time I've looked on the App there's only once ever been a car available, and that was a single one (out of range anyway).

There's 3 available right now, one is at the end of Ecclesall Road. Every time i've looked there's usually several around the ring road or in the city center. One time there wasn't one available, but if you just keep the app open one will usually become available within minutes.

Either you live quite far out of the city, or your 'Every time i've looked...' means 'The one time I looked...'

Obviously supply needs to meet demand and for a service only 2 weeks old that is going to fluctuate wildly until the number of drivers and passengers settles down. You can't throw this up as a reason for it being a bad service.

btw, on another note, the accusations of hacking and account theft can basically be leveled at any online service, that piece on Watchdog could have replaced Uber with any e-commerce company, but obviously putting what is becoming a household name that is a little bit mysterious to many in that slot with a little bit of light scaremongering draws many terrified Daily Mail-reading viewers .

Edited by FuriousGeorg