City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

So you accuse me of "fibbing" and then quote a post by ash.

So I'll repeat myself as I've had to do before many times with you, where have I (paks4) told a fib???

Once again i have to spell it out to you

PAKS4

Total Posts: 1,165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grappler View Post

30 quid for a five mile journey? No one would pay that.

PACKS4

You'd be surprised!

_______

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Excuse my ignorance please... But are Uber now a normal registered taxi company? I thought it was just a service whereby anyone could register and offer cheap lifts to a designated location? And that's why it was cheaper, because the drivers didn't need to obtain all the licences?

Sorry, this has probably already been clarified...

All Uber drivers in this country MUST be registered with the local authority - same as Private Hire and Hackney cab drivers.

It's in other countries where the laws aren't as strict and it seems 'anyone' can join Uber and become a taxi driver overnight.

Once again i have to spell it out to you

PAKS4

Total Posts: 1,165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grappler View Post

30 quid for a five mile journey? No one would pay that.

PACKS4

You'd be surprised!

_______

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

So which bit is the fib?

A) £30 for a 5 mile journey, no one would pay that.

B) you'd be surprised?

All Uber drivers in this country MUST be registered with the local authority - same as Private Hire and Hackney cab drivers.

It's in other countries where the laws aren't as strict and it seems 'anyone' can join Uber and become a taxi driver overnight.

Right, so it's just another taxi company, but with less administrative costs (achieved via online bookings), so therefore lower costs to the consumer. Is that right?

Seems like simple economics and inevitable progress to be honest.

I'm not part of this discussion at all, but I've just read the last bit. I was amazed last night in our local pub talking to loads of people who'd been, and had a great time, at Tramlines. The prices they'd paid for taxis to get back home were amazing. All of them had paid between £25-£35. Crackers. I get a taxi every week, and from my house to Sheffield City Hall is twelve quid.

Bargain.

Granted in busiest areas tonight you might have waited up to 50 mins between 2330 and 0100 with City, but no more expensive.

You might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

So which bit is the fib?

A) £30 for a 5 mile journey, no one would pay that.

B) you'd be surprised?

You PACKS4,uber charging £30 for a 5 mile trip

did you not agree with that statement.

for the sake of the good people on this thread, i am not going to be drawn into senseless post's

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 11:32 ----------

I'm not part of this discussion at all, but I've just read the last bit. I was amazed last night in our local pub talking to loads of people who'd been, and had a great time, at Tramlines. The prices they'd paid for taxis to get back home were amazing. All of them had paid between £25-£35. Crackers. I get a taxi every week, and from my house to Sheffield City Hall is twelve quid.

That i can believe in fact i could have predicted that would have happened. Same as Christmas and new year a few years back.

Bargain.

Granted in busiest areas tonight you might have waited up to 50 mins between 2330 and 0100 with City, but no more expensive.

You might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

[/b]

You PACKS4,uber charging £30 for a 5 mile trip

did you not agree with that statement.

for the sake of the good people on this thread, i am not going to be drawn into senseless post's

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 11:32 ----------

That i can believe in fact i could have predicted that would have happened. Same as Christmas and new year a few years back.

I did agree with the FACTUAL statement made by ash, and you agreed with tobys post.

but where have a told a fib?

Edited by PAKS4

Come on PACKS4

Where's the FACTUAL statement here

you might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

At best its a prediction. of what might be

Come on PACKS4

you might have got a Cornetto for nowt, but you'd be looking at nigh on 30 quid for a 5 mile journey.

Not a prediction, fact! uber was surging at x2.9 on Saturday night around midnight. A normal 5 mile journey would cost around £10, the surge price at X2.9 would be just shy of £30.

That statement was made by ash, I agreed because it was true, the uber drivers (which I know many of) were over the moon.

Why don't you download the uber app and take a look when it's surging. It will tell you what you're journey will cost.

I still can't figure out where I've allegedly told a fib, or is agreeing with something the fib?

Come on PACKS4

About right though. Uber is yield managed, prices go up and down with demand. On a normal day they will be cheaper than other taxis, however at peak times 'surge pricing' applies - it does warn you when you look to book though. on Tramlines Saturday the surge price had pushed up about as far as 3x normal fare at one point.

I chose not to use Uber this weekend as it was expensive - Friday got a City car and Saturday I got a black cab.

Edited by Andy C