City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Other instances where I've been paid £30 or more for a 5 mile journey:

1) regular School run for sheffield city council.

2) taking the bride to the church. £70 ( 1mile)

3) taking people to the prom.

4) many other one off's

And before you start, all prices were quoted at the time of booking either by myself or the company taking the booking.

That was a one off, and i would be very very surprised if other taxis including city wasn't doing the same.

City don't have a surge a policy, uber surges regularly especially on the weekend at peak times, maybe once they get more drivers they will surge less.

So back to the fib? I still can't see it?

City don't have a surge a policy, uber surges regularly especially on the weekend at peak times, maybe once they get more drivers they will surge less.

So back to the fib? I still can't see it?

My Bold

Are you saying City did not charge more at Christmas and new year?

My Bold

Now you're moving the goal posts - and no that's not a 'surge policy' City employ at Christmas, they usually charge £2 PER JOURNEY extra which is advertised well in advance.

Whereas with Uber (and each to their own if they want to pay it) can surge at any time if demand is great, such as the other week in London during the tube strike when the minimum fare was £13 at one point.

So Friday night, about 11pm looking to get home. Fire up Uber app, and it's on a 1.5 (I think) surcharge, so would cost around £19 with Uber. I know it's £14 with City so I book with them. It's all pretty simple and I genuinely cannot understand the animosity on either side. I think Uber are fab, but at the end of the day they are just a service to get me home, and no matter how lovely the drivers are I'm not going to pay £5 more for that so I used City. However, if City had a 30 min wait then I might have considered the extra £5 for speed of service and that's something Uber offers that City currently do not.

It generates better competition which can only be a good thing for the customer long term.

So Friday night, about 11pm looking to get home. Fire up Uber app, and it's on a 1.5 (I think) surcharge, so would cost around £19 with Uber. I know it's £14 with City so I book with them. It's all pretty simple and I genuinely cannot understand the animosity on either side. I think Uber are fab, but at the end of the day they are just a service to get me home, and no matter how lovely the drivers are I'm not going to pay £5 more for that so I used City. However, if City had a 30 min wait then I might have considered the extra £5 for speed of service and that's something Uber offers that City currently do not.

It generates better competition which can only be a good thing for the customer long term.

Excellently well put Kate.

I was in a curry house last weekend at midnight - and I have a £10 credit on Uber.... but no taxis available. So rather than spend 10 minutes on their app I simply ordered one from City (on their excellent app) and waited 10 minutes or so at my table until the taxi arrived.

As you say - at peak periods when Uber 'surge', City will probably be busy also. So you have the choice - get a cab now and pay extra, or book it and wait for 20 - 30 minutes......

My Bold

Yes they do but it's not a "surge" and this conversation has nothing to do with xmas!,

I'm still waiting for you to show me where I told a fib? Or grow up and admit you made a mistake!

The other thing to bear in mind is the size of the sheffield fleet in at the momemt, uber 70/80 cars (prediction) city 1500+, uber could be surging as I've seen it do on a few occasions at x1.5 whilst city hasn't even broken a sweat with hundreds of vehicles on the road!

Admittedly I don't have the City app, but couldn't get an answer from them on Saturday night at all. I tried quite a few times due to the surging. I've paid 2.9x with Uber before. Only in Manchester when I needed to catch a train when no other taxi company could get to me within 2hours. So I might be the sort of person who would pay £30 for a 5 mile journey. It's better than getting no taxi and missing a last train (for example).

And this Saturday I'd walked a long way before any black cab would stop for me(even though I'd not been drinking so couldn't even blame me looking drunk).

Ended up getting one at The Copthorne as he was dropping someone off.

Incidentally, what was happening with taxis this weekend? The train station at midday on Sunday had a queue of between 50 & 100 with not a single cab.