City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Also with Uber - and I'm not knocking them cos I've used them myself. You can't pre book a taxi, so if you want a cab at 7am tomorrow morning to go to work / train station etc what do you do? Pre book with City or hope and pray an Uber will be available at 6:50 in the morning?

Also with Uber - and I'm not knocking them cos I've used them myself. You can't pre book a taxi, so if you want a cab at 7am tomorrow morning to go to work / train station etc what do you do? Pre book with City or hope and pray an Uber will be available at 6:50 in the morning?

Pre-booking with City means just the same thing.

Pray that a car will be available.

Interesting stuff.

Ultimately people can choose to pay what Uber ask or not. That's the great capitalist choice we all enjoy.

Absolutely. You wanna pay £20 now for a taxi that normally costs £8 - that's your choice if you don't want to wait half an hour.

Absolutely. You wanna pay £20 now for a taxi that normally costs £8 - that's your choice if you don't want to wait half an hour.

thats why Uber will thrive, the younger end in this fair city will pay 2x fare, i would gladly pay it instead of standing in the queue going all way round Fitzalan Square.

Excuse me, but what've Sheffield City Taxi got to do with Mercury?

Sheffield City Taxi's are rubbish, whereas Mercury are a really decent private company who, not only the drivers say are good to work for (I ask them), but are completely reliable and provide decent cars. For instance, I was recently collected in an AMG Mercedes and have been taken (quickly) to the railway station in the owners new Roller some years ago, when they were having a prob getting a car to me on time (they wouldn't even charge me because it's illegal to charge in a private car, not registered as a taxi) ... so far as I'm concerned, that's good service.

If Mercury have been bought my City Taxis I'll be pretty distraught (in an Alcoblog sort of way). :(

Mercury have definatly been bought out by city along with most of the other firms in Sheffield apart from Express Network and Excel !!

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 20:41 ----------

Uber are already licensed in Sheffield as a private hire operator, offices are on Bramall Lane, They are waiting to launch when the Governments change in the rules come into force in October 2015. This will allow any operator anywhere in the Country to sub contract work to another licensed operator anywhere in the Country. UBER will ask all their current registered drivers to become licensed private hire operators within their own licensed area by 1st October this will then allow UBER to have no real responsibility to the person who booked the vehicle as they will sub contract every single journey to the licensed operator (the driver).

The lack of take up for drivers to UBER in the regions is because the drivers current operators will either remove their radio if found working for someone else, and also working for UBER means no money changes hands the driver receive a credit to his bank account which he has to register with UBER for payment, the customer pays by way of a credit or debit card logged with UBER when they sign up. No tips no cash in the pocket, and a registered bank account seems to be a stumbling block for many a driver?

This was thought to be true but it turns out uber are employing drivers on a full time semi part employed basis even going as far as offering drivers a minimum weekly wage of £500 = £10 per hour but drivers are contracted to work 50 hours minimum in the 1st month its just a ploy to get drivers to join them what will they do after the 1st months contract is up and they are all fighting for work with no plotting system or pre booking system drivers will just be sat around hoping a job comes up in the area they are in with the lack of parking in the town centre I think this will cause uproar eventually

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 20:48 ----------

city bought out mercury cars months ago. city as a lot of contract work like transferring hospital patients to and from hospital, instead of ambulances. Who are a firm called NSL who are a huge company who own car parks, medical delivery transfers I have a city car that takes me to hospital 3 times a week and brings me back every time I have a designated driver who comes on time and the same taking me home city cars are a great organisation and got it all sorted but need as many cars as they can get. the owner of mercury, I heard got 3 million quid for it and gone to live in retirement in spain, nice work if you can get it x

All the contract work goes up for bidding every year it then goes to the highest bidder I know this as I work for a taxi firm myself uber has the backing of google and many other billionaire companies so I do believe city will be highly effected come the time the contracts are to be renewed I know that uber have taken over a few of citys major contracts already its only a matter of time before they take the rest good luck to them I say city have took over Sheffield for far too long its good to finally have someone in their league to compete with them luckily the firm I work for is only tiny compared to uber and city although city have been trying to get us to sell for years so they could have complete control of the citys private hire business!

• 1 month later...

You can now pay on the App at City, so that is Uber's edge on the paying on the phone/tablet gone.

Looking through the thread again, there are lots of questions I asked but never got answered.

Placebo answered my questions though, so I'll ask him/her another one... :D

You must not be aware that Uber are taking on around 40-70 drivers a week at the moment then... most are coming from ex Mercury drivers, with a few bounding over from City. The rest are coming from other companies around Sheffield.

That was 3 months ago when you wrote that, how many have they got now? I'm not sure of the figure.