City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

I installed the uber app out of interest when they launched but have never used them as they never seemed to have taxis available.

In contrast , I ordered two City taxis on Saturday night using their app and they arrived within minutes.

I have emailed Uber to cancel my account and delete all information (including cards). This is in their help system .

https://help.uber.com/h/3c38b128-d49d-4b7c-b66d-323b86d1568a

I only use City now if I really really have to. Their customer service is absolutely appalling. There's never an apology for errors. They lie about waiting times and the amount of times I've been told a driver turned up but couldn't see me so left (without giving me a call back and whilst I was outside the address on the pavement) is ridiculous.

I do however, love Uber. I love that you can track the car, see a picture of the driver and rate them after the journey. I love not having to ensure I have cash on me. I love that the drivers actually know how to use Sat Nav and don't get cross if I don't know a route. The drivers are professional, polite and go out of their way to help. Some even offer drink and snack freebies! There isn't always a car available but that's because it's still relatively new to Sheffield. But 75% of the time one is available in my area. Uber never except a job if a driver is more than 6 mins away and that is a bonus for me.

The drivers also clearly enjoy their jobs more. They don't seem to struggle for work, the threat of being mugged is removed by the fact they no longer have to carry cash. They seem happier and as a result the customer's experience is a far better one.

I only use City now if I really really have to. Their customer service is absolutely appalling. There's never an apology for errors. They lie about waiting times and the amount of times I've been told a driver turned up but couldn't see me so left (without giving me a call back and whilst I was outside the address on the pavement) is ridiculous.

I do however, love Uber. I love that you can track the car, see a picture of the driver and rate them after the journey. I love not having to ensure I have cash on me. I love that the drivers actually know how to use Sat Nav and don't get cross if I don't know a route. The drivers are professional, polite and go out of their way to help. Some even offer drink and snack freebies! There isn't always a car available but that's because it's still relatively new to Sheffield. But 75% of the time one is available in my area. Uber never except a job if a driver is more than 6 mins away and that is a bonus for me.

The drivers also clearly enjoy their jobs more. They don't seem to struggle for work, the threat of being mugged is removed by the fact they no longer have to carry cash. They seem happier and as a result the customer's experience is a far better one.

City also have an app where you can track your taxi, call the driver and pay so you don't need to ring them but at least you can if you ever need to call them.

How would you feel If you booked an uber and a rotherham vehicle and driver turned up? As that's what will be happening very soon.

75% is a crap statistic, Mercury/City are much more reliable than that and we use them a lot

City also have an app where you can track your taxi, call the driver and pay so you don't need to ring them but at least you can if you ever need to call them.

How would you feel If you booked an uber and a rotherham vehicle and driver turned up? As that's what will be happening very soon.

I'd feel the same as I did when I booked a City taxi on their app and a Rotherham driver was allocated. If I hadn't looked on the tracker and then called to find out that they City had no available drivers I would have been sat waiting for an hour or more.

All taxi companies are as unreliable as each other at times. Uber and City are no different to each other really.

Still 75% of the time I get a significantly cheaper fare, a polite and professional driver, a clean car (something I've not experienced much of with City) and an almost instant pick up. I'm happy with my choice.

And 25% you get no car. What do you do then? I've found city cars very reasonable and I've not been in a dirty car either. I've never had any trouble getting a City car apart from when it was bad snow. That's a 99.9% record.

Edited by denlin