City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

I have used Mercury taxis for years when getting an early train. City have now taken over Mercury. I pre-booked with City last night to catch an early train and this morning they rang me to say they are unable to come. Don't book with City if you have an urgent appointment.

How much time did you leave? and was it just a normal car you booked?

I have used Mercury taxis for years when getting an early train. City have now taken over Mercury. I pre-booked with City last night to catch an early train and this morning they rang me to say they are unable to come.

I wouldn't bother pre-booking, just ring when you need a cab.

I sometimes get cabs early in the morning, never had to wait long for City to send one.

I can remember as a kid in the 1970s my dad pre-booking a taxi to take us to the old coach station at Ponds Street. Waiting for it to turn up, phone calls to check where it is, more waiting.

City are way better than that in my experience.

So City will be charging fare + half, over parts of the festive period. Basically sticking a finger up to all those working people that need to use them to get to and from work still working for minimum wage.

The only reason they dropped to fair +£2 was because Mercury did it. Now they have bought Mercury, back to the same old.

Hoping that Uber have plenty of drivers over from Rotherham and Chesterfield so they can keep the surge down ;)

How much time did you leave? and was it just a normal car you booked?

I see from some of your posts that you're pretty clued up about how taxis work.

So you must surely be aware of the fact that no pre-booked taxi is guaranteed to turn up?

I'm not talking about the obvious unavoidables such as crashes, breakdowns, jams etc. I'm talking about the fact that all Sheffield taxi firms simply check for available drivers near the booking time, and, if there are none in the area, the booking will not happen.

A client could book a taxi for tommorrow morning @ 9am, and, if there are no taxis in the area when the call goes out before 9, then the booking will not happen. (I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

You are aware of that, aren't you?

Yes.

So you must surely be aware of the fact that no pre-booked taxi is guaranteed to turn up?

I'm not talking about the obvious unavoidables such as crashes, breakdowns, jams etc. I'm talking about the fact that all Sheffield taxi firms simply check for available drivers near the booking time, and, if there are none in the area, the booking will not happen.

A client could book a taxi for tommorrow morning @ 9am, and, if there are no taxis in the area when the call goes out before 9, then the booking will not happen. (I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

You are aware of that, aren't you?

You quoted my 2 simple questions to another poster, then wrote all this rhetorical patronising ranting nonsense.

I just asked a couple of questions, so I can be clearer about the details of this poster's situation, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

(I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

Saturday I pre-booked a taxi - arrived a bit late but nothing over the odds. My mate rang for a taxi - took ages. Hissing it down Saturday night, busy time - best to book. When I wanted to come home - 11.30 -m Saturday night, nothing available. Not a thing.

(I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

Saturday I pre-booked a taxi - arrived a bit late but nothing over the odds. My mate rang for a taxi - took ages. Hissing it down Saturday night, busy time - best to book. When I wanted to come home - 11.30 -m Saturday night, nothing available. Not a thing.

Saturday was very busy I hear. Sadly not for me, I hit a speed bump on Meersbrook Pk Rd on Friday night, snapped my suspension, whole weekend lost :(