City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

I knew I would find the exception to the rule on here.

To be honest, it's only worth mentioning as it's the nicest Black Cab I've ever been in.

All others have been fairly run of the mill, and most of the time you're just happy if the fan works to get rid of the stench of the previous occupants.

Has anyone used Uber in London? I'm looking for a hotel as I've got an early next day meeting. If the rates are substantially lower I can look for a hotel in a different, nicer area for a nice meal etc.

I'm finding it hard to get my queries answered without fully signing up which I'm reluctant to do until I know what I'm signing up to!

Has anyone used Uber in London? I'm looking for a hotel as I've got an early next day meeting. If the rates are substantially lower I can look for a hotel in a different, nicer area for a nice meal etc.

I'm finding it hard to get my queries answered without fully signing up which I'm reluctant to do until I know what I'm signing up to!

go on, try a Boris bike, you know you want to

I have friends who live in London and they now use nothing but Uber. When we were visiting we used it with them, a 20min ride cost us about £15 but its all done electronically so we didnt have to hand over any cash.

Do the bike thing regularly in That London.

I'd love to. After a brain tumour I've had stroke like weakness on one side and I find going round in circles, often falling off a bike is not really a lady-like form of transport!

...whilst their self employed drivers scratch around struggling for work doing 70 hours a week plus !!!!!
I live near a taxi driver who drives for Mercury (or City or whatever they're called now) and he seems to be pretty well off? I mean it's none of my business really, but I can safely say he is definitely not "scratching around".

I live near a taxi driver who drives for Mercury (or City or whatever they're called now) and he seems to be pretty well off? I mean it's none of my business really, but I can safely say he is definitely not "scratching around".

Maybe he works 12 - 14 hours a day?

How will uber change that?

I've used Uber more than any other taxi company over the last few months. They've been a far superior and cheaper service.

To be honest, getting a taxi from home is never really an issue for me.

Getting a private hire back home has been a hit & miss nightmare over the years.

I've not had a single problem with Uber.

If anyone is curious as to why Sheffield is a mediocre forgotten backwater (sorry but it's true), this anti-Uber mentality is a great example.

If it was left to some on here we'd still be phoning for a taxi via our GPO (fixed to the wall) telephone (available in fetching shades of grey and beige).

Tech giant Uber chooses Wakefield for fifth British city

Not Sheffield mind. Wakefield.

Smartphone taxi firm Uber is coming to Bolton

Bolton!

Meanwhile, Leeds, which already has Uber, is stretching ahead of us again.

Uber launches ‘exec’ service for Leeds

Meanwhile the losers of Nowheresville will be sat puzzled and scratching their heads and wondering why t'council doesn't do something about it. :rolleyes: