Labour to get rid of Bedroom Tax if elected

I'm sorry but it isn't working out like that as the Housing Benefit bill continues to rise. In some areas there's a large surplus of 3 bedroom Council houses.

Surely that proves that the myth of people not being able to get out of council houses and having to pay the 'bedroom tax' is exactly that - a myth. If people can't move into these empty houses because they can't afford to, then it also means they can't move into them because they don't have enough people to qualify for occupancy.

If houses are empty because all the people qualifying for three bedroom properties are currently private renting, then those councils with a surplus should think about changing their waiting list and/or priority requirements to get people in them again.

Because it means that someone else that is living in an expensive private rents house can now move into the cheaper and larger council house, and that will save the tax payer some money.

But it wont save the taxpayer money will it.

All that happens is than any extra saving from this get spent elsewhere i.e. the Help to Buy scheme, so the average taxpayer is no better off. One thing is for sure you will see none of that saving.

Ask yourself, will your tax payments go down and will you be better off? If the answer is no then its just all about the feel-good factor and nothing else.

I'm sorry but it isn't working out like that as the Housing Benefit bill continues to rise. In some areas there's a large surplus of 3 bedroom Council houses.

Which areas have this large surplus of 3 bedroom Council houses?

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 08:01 ----------

But it wont save the taxpayer money will it.

All that happens is than any extra saving from this get spent elsewhere i.e. the Help to Buy scheme, so the average taxpayer is no better off. One thing is for sure you will see none of that saving.

Ask yourself, will your tax payments go down and will you be better off? If the answer is no then its just all about the feel-good factor and nothing else.

Tax has been cut by this government and It's only fair that large state funded houses are freed up by those people that don't need them, so that people that do need them get get them.

Which areas have this large surplus of 3 b edroom Council houses?howed

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 08:01 ----------

Tax has been cut by this government and It's only fair that large state funded houses are freed up by those people that don't need them, so that people that do need them get get them.

Hold on a sec, the Tories want to give people the right to buy HA houses. If they get sold off they are no longer available to be allocated.

A recent study showed that taxes have been raised by £255 a person in this parliament

Hold on a sec, the Tories want to give people the right to buy HA houses. If they get sold off they are no longer available to be allocated.

A recent study showed that taxes have been raised by £255 a person in this parliament

Personal income tax allowances have increased by over £2000 to just over £10,000 per annum in this parliament, so show us the maths :suspect:

I thought the plan was to sell off old houses, in particular houses worth quite a lot, and then use the money to build more - the cost of building a new house being less than selling an existing one?

I thought the plan was to sell off old houses, in particular houses worth quite a lot, and then use the money to build more - the cost of building a new house being less than selling an existing one?

That's how I understood it too...

First of all its not a Tax, so stop calling it one, secondly how is allowing people to have thei rent paid for in houses they do not require. I know there are many people who have appealed against a decision and won, but thats not the government, but rather the people assessing the claims. If people can appeal and win, it shows the system has the fail safes it requires.

Your right its not a tax. However yes your right there is inefficiencies in the housing benefits system but thats not the fault of the tenant on benefits.

The "Bedroom Tax" or "Spare room subsidy" for want of a better term doesn't work. The tenant cannot find smaller accommodation "as there arnt any." so is left with a benefit cut he or she can do nothing about and due to no fault of the claimant. I am against this policy as simply speaking its a money saving exercise that harms people and doesnt solve any problems.

Your right its not a tax. However yes your right there is inefficiencies in the housing benefits system but thats not the fault of the tenant on benefits.

The "Bedroom Tax" or "Spare room subsidy" for want of a better term doesn't work. The tenant cannot find smaller accommodation "as there arnt any." so is left with a benefit cut he or she can do nothing about and due to no fault of the claimant. I am against this policy as simply speaking its a money saving exercise that harms people and doesnt solve any problems.

For clarity do you mean there isn't smaller accommodation available in the social sector or in the private sector ..or both?