The Summerhouse

jemson

• 4 months later...

Hi Jemson,

The Summer House is totally independent and not part of any chain.

You can enjoy the best of British food prepared with skill and flair and we have also carefully chosen a wide range of gluten free options including beer.

If you need any more information, don't hesitate to call the team on 0114 236 1679 or email info@thesummerhousesheffield.com and we'll be able to explain more.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Went Sunday morning for brunch. Bit chaotic. They wanted to take our drinks order before we had even sat down. Drinks arrived then we waited about 40 minutes for the food - and we didn't think that it was particularly busy.

It is a lovely place and should do well though as there isn't anything else nearby from what we could see. They do need to sort their service out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep - been there, done that!

This place used to be a bike shop until recently - it's been converted very tastefully into a lovely bistro. They have a nice choice of wines and a small but interesting selection of food. The atmosphere is very nice inside and it's the kind of place where you can go and enjoy a glass of wine and nibbles in the small bar area, or sit and dine at a table in the main bistro part.

I heard there were some "teething troubles" with the service when it first opened a few weeks ago. I saw no evidence of that when we visited - although one of the waitresses in particular would do well to try and break into a smile. (Why do some folk chose to "serve" the general public if they obviously don't enjoy it and can't be open and friendly about it?) :huh:

The other poster who says there isn't anything nearby is mistaken I think? Immediately nextdoor there is Peppercorn restaurant and about 50 yards away there is Radjhani Indian restaurant. So, 3 "reasonably good" restaurants all offering different things within a 50 yard area.

Maybe he/she means pubs? In which case that's correct. Although Dore village is half a mile away with a couple of pubs to choose from - and the Cricket Inn at Totley is within a mile.

The other poster who says there isn't anything nearby is mistaken I think? Immediately nextdoor there is Peppercorn restaurant and about 50 yards away there is Radjhani Indian restaurant. So, 3 "reasonably good" restaurants all offering different things within a 50 yard area.

Maybe he/she means pubs? In which case that's correct. Although Dore village is half a mile away with a couple of pubs to choose from - and the Cricket Inn at Totley is within a mile.

That`s what I was thinking. There was a very positive review in the Star last night. Hope it does well. Looks like a place for folk off the train to fall into for post-work drinks, probably Italian lager or prosecco.

That`s what I was thinking. There was a very positive review in the Star last night. Hope it does well. Looks like a place for folk off the train to fall into for post-work drinks, probably Italian lager or prosecco.

yep, exactly. That's something that the area didn't have and it's not a bad thing. In fact, a few months ago now, I was asking (on here I think) if Sheffield had a "nice wine bar" - because I couldn't think of one.

In the past Menzels on Ecclesall Road used to be a very nice upmarket place with a good choice of wine - but that seems to have gone downhill considerably. Going back many years further, there used to be another very nice, upmarket, wine bar on Ecclesall Road called the Victoria (I think). But that went donkey's years ago.

There's that place "La Scala" on the crossroads of Abbeydale and Archer Road which purports to be some kind of wine bar/bistro, but it's hardly upmarket and I don't like the atmosphere in there.

So, it's a struggle to find a place where we can go and enjoy a glass (or bottle) of decent wine in nice surroundings, maybe even have a snack if we fancy it.

I think the Summerhouse will tick those boxes. I wonder if it's open in winter though?:huh: