What will the next raft of cuts be?

You mean the government shouldn't have to do everything for everyone?
Precisely :)

Well there's a novel thought..it'll never catch on y'know :)
By the current opinion polls about the Tories (whose philosophical approach is 'less personal interference' relative to most other mainstream parties, unless I am mistaken), it looks like there is, thankfully, still a sizeable amount of the British population who subscribe to that thought. So here's hoping (apolitical wish) :D

No they couldn't. It would have put tham at a huge disadvantage as our economy was based almost entirely in financial services. Major manufacturing was all but finished thanks to Thatcher, how were they going to make up the shortfall? Whether they knew just how dodgy the financial services were is a moot point, they couldn't act alone in a global society and in an industry that operates on global 'confidence.'

As for the next round of cuts, you can be sure they will affect the poorest in society least able to afford it. The bankers and the richest will be unaffected and continue to amass even more wealth. We will see real poverty grow (it's already here in case you hadn't noticed,) and affect more and more people. You might not even notice if you're one of the fortunate ones who doesn't need a carer, or hospital services, or a particular treatment, or if you keep your job, and have decent housing etc.

But remember any one of these things can happen to you, and, as people are finding out, when they need help, the services they always assumed were there in times of need, are gone.

Another posts filled with ridiculous rubbish.

I can't abide all this 'ooohhh the NHS is in crisis' rubbish etc.

I used the NHS in the last 6 months after an accident. No problems at all.

I have two close relatives who are using it now - one actually in hospital.

No problems at all.

And those are facts, not opinions formed from the pages of the Guardian.

Yet to listen to some of the dramatic doom mongers on here you'd think we lived in Bolivia or some other poor nation.

It's about time some people actually opened their eyes to the real world and not some stereotypical comic book from a century ago (oooohhh those evil Tory's - they want to kill us all!!)

No they couldn't. It would have put tham at a huge disadvantage as our economy was based almost entirely in financial services. Major manufacturing was all but finished thanks to Thatcher, how were they going to make up the shortfall? Whether they knew just how dodgy the financial services were is a moot point, they couldn't act alone in a global society and in an industry that operates on global 'confidence.'

As for the next round of cuts, you can be sure they will affect the poorest in society least able to afford it. The bankers and the richest will be unaffected and continue to amass even more wealth. We will see real poverty grow (it's already here in case you hadn't noticed,) and affect more and more people. You might not even notice if you're one of the fortunate ones who doesn't need a carer, or hospital services, or a particular treatment, or if you keep your job, and have decent housing etc.

But remember any one of these things can happen to you, and, as people are finding out, when they need help, the services they always assumed were there in times of need, are gone.

It's too expensive to build cheap consumer tat in this country Anna and has been for decades. Throw in industrial strife in the 70s (and before that) poor management and poor workmanship (see most British cars pre late 90s really) and to suggest its "all thatchers fault" is short sighted bordering on stupid. Manufacturing has seen an upswing, many foreign car firms choose to build here and better still we produce good products. It's high tech, high skilled stuff we make just not in massive numbers. Lower skilled manufacturing is still out there, probably being done by immigrants.

Blair could have steadied the ship and put a firmer, but not overly restrictive hand on the tiller of the financial industry when things were good. Brown could have got something, anything from the banks before he handed over billions and billions - he extracted **** all. You want to blame someone try blaming those two.

Yes, Cameron has probably cut to the quick too deep and has put the boot in to the poorer members of society (bedroom tax is ill thought out rhubarb)but the public sector don't seem keen on trying to change how they operate or how they spend and as its a Tory policy many will dismiss it out of hand. I wonder how little ed will get on with his cuts if he gets in? You know he's going to cut stuff too don't you?

I wonder how little ed will get on with his cuts if he gets in? You know he's going to cut stuff too don't you?

Shock horror..who'd have thought it.. surely it's just those nasty tories that will cut..?

Another posts filled with ridiculous rubbish.

I can't abide all this 'ooohhh the NHS is in crisis' rubbish etc.

I used the NHS in the last 6 months after an accident. No problems at all.

I have two close relatives who are using it now - one actually in hospital.

No problems at all.

And those are facts, not opinions formed from the pages of the Guardian.

Yet to listen to some of the dramatic doom mongers on here you'd think we lived in Bolivia or some other poor nation.

It's about time some people actually opened their eyes to the real world and not some stereotypical comic book from a century ago (oooohhh those evil Tory's - they want to kill us all!!)

And I can't abide people who are blind to all but what's happening in their own back yard.

Emergency treatment in the NHS is good. Standard care in the NHS is good until something goes wrong. I personally have experience of both, one culminating in the untimely death of the person, due to neglect and a farcical and Unnecessary chain of events. That isn't from the pages of the guardian either.

The care of the elderly, chronically infirm and the mentally ill is another thing entirely, and I only hope you never find that out for yourself, as I have.

Where do you get your idea that I need to open my eyes to the real world?

I work with these people.

How many homeless do you know? How many foodbanks have you visited? How many unemployed have you seen weeping with despair? Believe me, for some people living in this country itis like living in Bolivia. I agree that in the sixth richest country in the world, that's a disgrace, but that is their experience.

I suggest you spend some time away from the golf club, and try volunteering with some of the charities that deal with these people, you might learn something.

But then I doubt that someone who can say 'People who are starving in this country do so through their own choices, I'm not interested in that.' won't be volunteering anytime soon.

I wish your two relatives in hospital well by the way. Hope they recover soon.

Shock horror..who'd have thought it.. surely it's just those nasty tories that will cut..?

The vast majority of people won't notice the change who ever wins. Most will still have a job (without risking their lives in the main) their kids will go to school (to a relatively high standard - for free) and if needed get treatment in a hospital (still up there withthe worlds best - for free).

Do people in Bolivia get all that?

The vast majority of people won't notice the change who ever wins. Most will still have a job (without risking their lives in the main) their kids will go to school (to a relatively high standard - for free) and if needed get treatment in a hospital (still up there withthe worlds best - for free).

Do people in Bolivia get all that?

What's all this for free nonsense?...We actually pay for it!

What's all this for free nonsense?...We actually pay for it!
Yep. Including the perks:

NHS Lease Car Scheme

The Trust offers a salary sacrifice car scheme for all staff members. The salary sacrifice car scheme is an all-inclusive, motoring package which enables Trust staff to drive a brand new, fully maintained and insured car from as little as £152 per month.

The vehicle is provided through a salary sacrifice arrangement which means that you agree to give up the right to receive part of your gross salary due under your contract of employment in exchange for a non-cash benefit – in this case a brand new car.

This allows you to utilise the income tax, NI and pension (if applicable) contributions, you would have paid on the amount of salary you are sacrificing, towards the vehicle of your choice. You will also be able to take advantage of our excellent fleet and public sector discounts, allowing you to acquire a car for substantially less than a private lease agreement.

Each vehicle on the scheme includes all servicing and maintenance, fully comprehensive motor insurance for the driver and their domestic partner, annual road fund licence, full breakdown cover for UK and Europe, replacement tyres and even protection for certain lifestyle events such as resignation and redundancy.

That's in Lancashire. I'm informed that the lowest salary sacrifice in Rotherham is currently around half, at £85.

Do you have any idea how much all of that actually costs Joe Average in the Real (non-NHS employed) World? Try multiples.

Stuff like that should be way-up-there, country miles ahead of child benefits in the cutting stakes.

Can of worms widely and firmly open, let's see the reaction.

Edited by L00b