It's a princess, congratulations to Kate and Will

It's the toilets that fascinate me ,do they wipe their own bum:hihi:

Me too. I once went on a course with a lady in waiting to lizzie but I never thought to ask about the job.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 23:34 ----------

I think there will be separate areas for the two you mention.

What about Monarchs who are Dictators?

To consign to the dustbin the premise that tourism is a sufficiently adequate reason to hang onto the anachronistic embarrassment that is a monarchy in the 21st century. Others are quoting huge, wildly ephemeral numbers in terms of 'returns' for the nation. Even if they were true - which I seriously doubt - this is still an insufficient reason to keep them.

I can think of two countries off the top off my head who would swop their leaders for your monarchs any day.

North Korea and Zimbwabe.

Definitely not on the international tourist itinerary either..

Tell you what. If either Ted Cruz, Rand Paul or Scott Walker win the Presidency in 2016 we can send em over to you and we'll take Willie and Kate in return

Me too. I once went on a course with a lady in waiting to lizzie but I never thought to ask about the job.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 23:34 ----------

What about Monarchs who are Dictators?

Our queen would make a wise decision as to where her throne should be located and who would be appropriate company for her and her family.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 23:47 ----------

It's the toilets that fascinate me ,do they wipe their own bum:hihi:

Are such things necessary in heaven ?

I can think of two countries off the top off my head who would swop their leaders for your monarchs any day.

North Korea and Zimbwabe.

Definitely not on the international tourist itinerary either..

Tell you what. If either Ted Cruz, Rand Paul or Scott Walker win the Presidency in 2016 we can send em over to you and we'll take Willie and Kate in return

Ah, the usual feeble 'North Korea' line from a servile monarchist.

Other Republics are available. We do have something in common with North Korea though - the North Koreans can't vote out their head of state either...

If your named candidates don't do so well, what will your country do?

It will democratically vote them out next time round.

If we're not keen on a particular monarch, we can also democratically vote them out...oh, hang on a minute...:rolleyes:

You're happy with your democracy, but you don't mind arguing that the British should be denied the full version.

Great.

Ah, the usual feeble 'North Korea' line from a servile monarchist.

Other Republics are available. We do have something in common with North Korea though - the North Koreans can't vote out their head of state either...

If your named candidates don't do so well, what will your country do?

It will democratically vote them out next time round.

If we're not keen on a particular monarch, we can also democratically vote them out...oh, hang on a minute...:rolleyes:

You're happy with your democracy, but you don't mind arguing that the British should be denied the full version.

Great.

First off I am not a servile monarchist. I live in a republic that long ago was a bunch of colonies ruled by a monarch.

If the day comes that the UK decides to do away with the monarchy by popular vote then that's just democracy in action

Changing over to a republic with a complete reorganization of government wouldn't come cheap but I imagine you already know that.

The Queen and the rest of them would go into exile, (pick a paradise somewhere) and take all her wealth with her. That would be the wealth she has accumulated through business dealings and investments and there's nothing the government could do to get their hands on it. Personal wealth is personal wealth. She would of course leave behind a bunch of residences which probably need a few million quidsworth of work done on them and if the new government of the new repuiblic were hard lefties they could turn them into accommodations for asylum seekers or the homeless. That would certainly appeal to their sense of justice just as the French and the Russians seized all the privately owned land and turned it into peoples collectives.

They could also flog the crown jewels to help pay off the national debt.

Meanwhile there would be people everywhere pizzing and moaning about the new President and his admin because they were of a different party that the malcontents voted for and lost.

As the old saying goes "Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme" :D

Edited by Harleyman

Alright, lads, now we've done the royals in, what shall we do next? Immigrants, cyclists, bible thumpers, Wednesday, United, tories, labour,Yanks? Then round again ad infinitum. Just ban the lot and wish Leeds United back into the Premiership.

Is that a quote from George Washington?

:)

----------------------

The Queen and the rest of them would go into exile, (pick a paradise somewhere) and take all her wealth with her.

Why would they go into exile if the transition was democratic?

That would be the wealth she has accumulated through business dealings and investments and there's nothing the government could do to get their hands on it.

Apart from tax it, of course.

She would of course leave behind a bunch of residences which probably need a few million quidsworth of work done on them

I thought these places were magnets for tourists, and now they're crumbling wrecks. If we have a monarch, they're making us money. If we don't, they're costing us money.

I've never got my head around the 'tourist argument'. Why we base our government on what foreign tourists want is beyond me.

That would certainly appeal to their sense of justice just as the French and the Russians seized all the privately owned land and turned it into peoples collectives.

When did the French turn Versailles into a people's collective? It was a tourist attraction when I went.

They could also flog the crown jewels to help pay off the national debt.

Give enough time and the tories'll privatise em, no doubt. ;)

Is that a quote from George Washington?

:)

----------------------

Why would they go into exile if the transition was democratic?

Apart from tax it, of course.

I thought these places were magnets for tourists, and now they're crumbling wrecks. If we have a monarch, they're making us money. If we don't, they're costing us money.

I've never got my head around the 'tourist argument'. Why we base our government on what foreign tourists want is beyond me.

When did the French turn Versailles into a people's collective? It was a tourist attraction when I went.

Give enough time and the tories'll privatise em, no doubt. ;)

I don't think George Washington would support United, too poor.