It's a princess, congratulations to Kate and Will

I feel so sorry for the French. After doing away with their monarchy, the palaces have fallen in to rack and ruin. They had to open Disneyland to compensate for the lack of visitors to Versailles which has now been turned in to a Victorian-themed market.

Well was it ever a "theme park for tourists" up to now ? :loopy: Tourism is only part of Britain's money generating industries.

Don't underestimate the earning power of tourism though. It's big. Every airline in the world, every hotel in the world depend mostly on tourism

I don't underestimate tourism, I'm not sure how you extrapolate that from my remarks. Maybe think a little deeper with less forelock tugging?

She can opt out when she's older. But she won't...

How? By telling those naughty tabloid photographers to go away? Whether she likes it or not, she is born into a life of public interest and scrutiny

Alright, lads, now we've done the royals in, what shall we do next? Immigrants, cyclists, bible thumpers, Wednesday, United, tories, labour,Yanks? Then round again ad infinitum. Just ban the lot and wish Leeds United back into the Premiership.

Edited by buck

Yes.

The whole idea of Charles marrying Diana was to use her as breeding stock for a future heir while he was already banging Camilla. . .

I hope his children don't have the same mentality.

You mean Camilla AND Tiggy.

I don't underestimate tourism, I'm not sure how you extrapolate that from my remarks. Maybe think a little deeper with less forelock tugging?

The UK is not and never was a "Tourist Theme Park" was it. So what was your point in your original post?

The UK is not and never was a "Tourist Theme Park" was it. So what was your point in your original post?

To consign to the dustbin the premise that tourism is a sufficiently adequate reason to hang onto the anachronistic embarrassment that is a monarchy in the 21st century. Others are quoting huge, wildly ephemeral numbers in terms of 'returns' for the nation. Even if they were true - which I seriously doubt - this is still an insufficient reason to keep them.

Edited by perplexed