Favourite sandwich as a kid..

A toss up between white bread and margarine covered with lovely gooey tinned Nestles Milk and Davy's bread with marg and potted meat from the Co-op. I seem to remember the potted meat was cut from a trayful covered with wax or something to keep it fresh. Probably still is. If you went out with the lads on a trip with packed lunch on a hot day, you soon found out who had the egg sandwiches!

Erm, I think the "wax" was the fat that rose to the surface, tasted lovely though! :love:

YES! There definitely was a beehive brown sauce. I can see the bottle now.

Thank you , I was beginning to think I dreamed it up, when nobody else remembered it.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 20:49 ----------

Just bread and dripping - yummy.

Preferred, it on cold toast with plenty of that black stuff from the bottom of the basin.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 20:59 ----------

Does any one still eat their favourite kid sandwich and at the risk of starting a new thread, what's your favourite now?

Still like my cheese and brown sauce, if eating at home. If eating out I like a Reuben sandwich with a Ceasar salad.

Out of curiosity, what was Bee Hive sauce and are Scotch pies like Scotch eeggs?

Never heard of bee hive sauce but Scotch pies are small pies with a minced mutton filling. You can buy them from Morrisons.

I can also remember eating condensed milk sandwiches and sugar sandwiches, although one of my favourites was chocolate spread - not Nuttella, which wasn't available until later, but a dark chocolate one which I think was made by Cadbury and was sold in a plastic tub. However, my all time favourite - and still is - was bacon sandwich, on sliced white bread (and I don't mean ready sliced but the proper crusty loaf). The bacon we had in those days was the sort that had to be sliced; much nicer that that pre-packaged stuff we get nowadays, that is all briny and doesn't fry properly.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 17:00 ----------

my favourite and still is dread and dripping I love t, when I first started work as a young apprentice after making a brew. then sweeping the big garage floor. my other job was about 9.30 was to go round and fetch sandwhiches for everyone who wanted one the 3 favourites were sausage a tomato, bacon and tom, and dripping cakes I would fetch around a dozen or more all with a bit of salt on them. I used to buy 3 for myself, bonus was I would get 2 for nowt for buying all the other sandwich's, must say I had never heard of bread and sugar. one of my home made favourites which my wife finds disgusting and that is mashed potato sandwiches, I loved them as a kid. weird of what

Yes, bread and dripping is another favourite of mine and I'm not ashamed to say that I can demolish a pile of bread and dripping and never get tired of them. I'm lucky that there are two Beres shops at Hillsborough where I live, which sell excellent pork dripping. So far as mashed potato sandwiches are concerned, your wife doesn't know what she's missing. There is something very comforting about a sandwich of generously buttered bread and mashed potato when you are feeling peckish, especially if the potato is seasoned with grated cheddar cheese.

Never heard of bee hive sauce but Scotch pies are small pies with a minced mutton filling. You can buy them from Morrisons.

I can also remember eating condensed milk sandwiches and sugar sandwiches, although one of my favourites was chocolate spread - not Nuttella, which wasn't available until later, but a dark chocolate one which I think was made by Cadbury and was sold in a plastic tub. However, my all time favourite - and still is - was bacon sandwich, on sliced white bread (and I don't mean ready sliced but the proper crusty loaf). The bacon we had in those days was the sort that had to be sliced; much nicer that that pre-packaged stuff we get nowadays, that is all briny and doesn't fry properly.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 17:00 ----------

Yes, bread and dripping is another favourite of mine and I'm not ashamed to say that I can demolish a pile of bread and dripping and never get tired of them. I'm lucky that there are two Beres shops at Hillsborough where I live, which sell excellent pork dripping. So far as mashed potato sandwiches are concerned, your wife doesn't know what she's missing. There is something very comforting about a sandwich of generously buttered bread and mashed potato when you are feeling peckish, especially if the potato is seasoned with grated cheddar cheese.

The dark chocolate spread was Fry's.

Once tried udder sarnie covered in salt, me mam said i would love it !!!!! ( bloody awful )

I was once in the sandwich shop on Meadow street when someone from the cutlery firm came in with a list of sandwiches . . a cheese sandwich, a boiled ham sandwich , an udder sandwich , to which the assistant gave her ANOTHER sandwich:D She explained she wanted an UDDER sandwhich not another.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 16:16 ----------

Not forgetting treacle sarnies.