Let's talk about infinity..

Numberphile! My favorite youtube channel!

---------- Post added 04-05-2015 at 14:11 ----------

Just watching this:

Does infinity only exist as a concept, within the mind of man?

Also, his idea of 'listable infinity' starting from 1, seems wrong, as it stops in one direction (at 1).

Something can have a beginning and still be infinite as long as it doesn't have an end.

There are an infinite amount of positive integers but there aren't any lower than 1.

Yep, great channel! :)

Doesn't infinity only exist a concept, a thought, our minds doing mental gymnastics? Or are there real world examples of something having a beginning, but no end?

Time has no end and we don't know when it started .

Time has no end and we don't know when it started .

If time and space began at the creation of the universe (which I've read it did) then time will end when the universe ceases to exist.

The Cambridge mathematician's explanation of the Enigma machine is fascinating.

AAAh I see you did exactly what I did, you were bored witless with the first recommended vid so toddled off to make a coffee and when You came back the 'next up' had started and found that infinitely more interesting.:hihi:

If time and space began at the creation of the universe (which I've read it did) then time will end when the universe ceases to exist.

I thought so too, that is, time is a property of this instance of the universe we are part of, just like matter, laws of physics, etc, are all properties of this one particular universe.