Booking flights for Lanzarote

You're wrong.

Each time you do a search, the price will increase (up to a number of times dependant on the airline) http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2010/aug/07/computer-cookies-booking-online

On Monday evening I was buying a return flight to Ireland for this weekend on behalf of a friend.
The price was £187
, a bit steep, so I double-checked this was exactly what he wanted, that the flight times were acceptable, flipped in and out of other airline websites, and so on. But when I went back into the site –
only minutes later – the price had changed to £212.

Now I know all about the "dynamic pricing" model used by airlines, but this seemed odd. Did the cookies on my computer effectively tell the website that I'd been fiddling around making up my mind?

Would, perversely, a consumer be more likely to buy at the higher price because they would think the seats are selling out fast?

I went back to the beginning. Sure enough, the site remembered my details, knew the destination I was looking for, and, once again, gave me £212.
But then I deleted cookies
and removed the browsing history. Starting the booking process again, the website no longer knew my details and did not pre-populate any of the information fields. And the price of the flight, a few seconds later?
It was back to £187

If you do not believe me, try it for yourself, but please do not try to tell people its not true when you are ignorant of the facts.

I often search flights, on PCs, phones, laptops and tablets.

Prices can vary, that is true, but there's no proof it is linked to cookies.

I've searched for a flight one day, then searched the following day on the same browser and it has gone down.... Should I thank not deleting cookies for that.

I've just done it now too, to a new destination, closed browser, gone back on.... Same price.

I often search flights, on PCs, phones, laptops and tablets.

Prices can vary, that is true, but there's no proof it is linked to cookies.

I've searched for a flight one day, then searched the following day on the same browser and it has gone down.... Should I thank not deleting cookies for that.

I've just done it now too, to a new destination, closed browser, gone back on.... Same price.

So you are saying the Guardian reporter this happened too, and Me who this has happened too are lying?

Which company/website did you do the search with and what criteria did you use?

Edited by Berberis

I always use Skyscanner to find cheap flights.

i search on there and then go direct to the airline. most will seen youve been searching an offer you a discount. Happened twice to me with Virgin Atlantic.

i always try to book with the airlines directly as the price finder sites usually charge you an arm and a leg or any miniscule change to your itinerary. The extra £10-£20 p/p it costs by going direct could save you £100s.

Or just search as normal and still get the cheapest price :)

He is actually right.

I too thought this was a load of rhubarb but then I did it for some flights to Germany at the end of last year and it magically worked!

I got a flight £30 cheaper from the same booking line for the same flight! :thumbsup:

So you are saying the Guardian reporter this happened too, and Me who this has happened too are lying?

Which company/website did you do the search with and what criteria did you use?

I'm saying that it is a coincidence.

I can do the same as you and ge a number of links from experts who also say that companies do not indulge in this practise.

The fact is, there is no clear evidence to back up what you're saying.

I use many different companies when search, ranging from Thomas Cook, thomsons, Ryanair, easy jet, monarch and even using sites like sky scanner and travel Republic.

I'm saying that it is a coincidence.

I can do the same as you and ge a number of links from experts who also say that companies do not indulge in this practise.

The fact is, there is no clear evidence to back up what you're saying.

I use many different companies when search, ranging from Thomas Cook, thomsons, Ryanair, easy jet, monarch and even using sites like sky scanner and travel Republic.

Companies do do this. I know it as I have seen it, first hand. So has the Guardian journalist, first hand. So have other people I know as I advised them on how to obtain the first cheapest price. So this is no coincidence.

However, no airline will admit to its practice as, well lets face it, they will use any means they can to charge you more for your flight. They may change their policy numerous times without you or I ever knowing.

You have not seen it happen it would see, so you think that means your experience is the same for EVERYONE ELSE :roll: