Tory welfare cuts

The way the protesters harassed Jim Murphy last week was appalling. Unfortunately that seems to be the tactics of the hard left, if you can't win the argument, intimidate the opposition.

Labour have got a big dilemma but its been there for years, go to the left or go to the centre. All I've heard since Friday is Blairites pointing out that he is the only Labour leader to have actually won an election for 40 years, so it would seem sensible to follow that lead. However, Milliband was meant to be a move away from Blair as it was felt he had abandoned their core vote. And yet others think he too, (Milliband) didn't represent the core vote.

How do they square that circle?

My guess is that some time in the future the party will split with a new left wing party, and the centralists merging with the LibDems.

How do you define Labour's core vote now?

It used to be the 'working class' but for me the working class has changed a lot over the last couple of decades.

A lot of people who we would describe as working class now have a lifestyle that would have been seen as middle class back in the seventies. Growing up in a working class family back in the seventies we never had a car and the nearest we got to a foreign holiday was a postcard from my Auntie Vera.

Fast forward a couple of generations and many working class families are a two car household taking a couple of foreign holidays a year. Peoples expectations from life have changed and so have their expectations from what they want from their politicians.

That's why all elections since the late seventies have been won by the Tory party or Tory lite in the case of Tony Blair.

Exactly, that's why you do not silence political opposition. This is why I will always fight for the right of the likes of the BNP and EDL having a voice, as its their right and the only way to counter their argument is to let it be heard and scrutinised.

That's the trouble Berberis! People don't hear OR scrutinise. Anything but the two main parties that is - and even then they only hear what they want to hear and don't scrutinise.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Do they think we're stupid?

Yes Anna - and they've always thought that.

:)

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 13:37 ----------

Vote for a party who are keeping you informed of their intentions then.

So who's that then? They all make promises and break them!

the only one thats been checked out independently and found to be telling the truth about cuts and the budget was, Nigel

Edited by esme
quote tags

I'd settle for someone who was vaguely competant...

Agreed Anna - even "vaguely" competent!!

:):)

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 13:50 ----------

You've convinced me, I'm going to vote Labour because Ed looks competent*! :rolleyes:

AND vague lol!!!:)

It used to be the 'working class' but for me the working class has changed a lot over the last couple of decades.

A lot of people who we would describe as working class now have a lifestyle that would have been seen as middle class back in the seventies. Growing up in a working class family back in the seventies we never had a car and the nearest we got to a foreign holiday was a postcard from my Auntie Vera.

Fast forward a couple of generations and many working class families are a two car household taking a couple of foreign holidays a year. Peoples expectations from life have changed and so have their expectations from what they want from their politicians.

That's why all elections since the late seventies have been won by the Tory party or Tory lite in the case of Tony Blair.

Lots over the past decade have voted Labour but realize they live like Tories!

The Conservative victory was a vote against divisive left wing politics getting out of hand.People should realize that the extremes of left and right,are small compared with the huge centre ground where the vast majority are fairly comfortable these days compared with decades ago.Labour continually bleating about the so called poor does not register with the majority who also have needs! Labour really do not like the succesfull,aspirational,business and wealthy in society,envy is at the root of most of this whatever mumbo jumbo excuses they make (usually greed).They also have this delusional idea that they own the sole franchise on morality as if only they care for the poor and the downtrodden..........maybe they have five years to think about it,and if they come back with sensible workable policies and stop telling everyone how badly off they are,who knows !

Edited by esme
quote tags

the only one thats been checked out independently and found to be telling the truth about cuts and the budget was, Nigel

Nuff said kidley - I voted UKIP!

:D:D

Edited by esme
quote tags

The Conservative victory was a vote against divisive left wing politics getting out of hand.People should realize that the extremes of left and right,are small compared with the huge centre ground where the vast majority are fairly comfortable these days compared with decades ago.Labour continually bleating about the so called poor does not register with the majority who also have needs! Labour really do not like the succesfull,aspirational,business and wealthy in society,envy is at the root of most of this whatever mumbo jumbo excuses they make (usually greed).They also have this delusional idea that they own the sole franchise on morality as if only they care for the poor and the downtrodden..........maybe they have five years to think about it,and if they come back with sensible workable policies and stop telling everyone how badly off they are,who knows !

Spot on post.

Not sure too many people up north divide their time between chipping norton and witney.

Maybe we should, dave says its free parking in witney. The council must be doing alright. No cuts there then.

Absolutely 100%, bang on right.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 15:33 ----------

Correct. Good post. What I don't understand is that all this seems bleedin' obvious to so many, why haven't labour got the message.

.....so Cameron and Gideon don't want us all to be poor? And then beat us and drive us to our grave?

Of course you are right. Some of the posters on here equate Cameron's Tory party with the most extreme right wing possible, just because they are a teeny weeny bit right of centre. And some of those posters are pretty bright as well. I find such a mentality completely bizarre.

Millibands mantra call of working hard for "honest working families" fell on deaf ears, because those people are already doing alright. Again despite what some of the posters on here have convinced themselves of.